Thread: Tangle Mess!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 AM
ghostrider

People here will give you as many ways to avoid the tangles as there are days in the month. Try as many as you want and when you find one that works for you, stick with it. I have, even though I've never heard of anyone else doing what I do.

My method of choice is this. I prewash all fabrics, like colors together, on a gentle cycle in hot water, cold rinse. The fabrics do not tangle on gentle. I take each fabric out of the washer, one at a time, trim off any loose edge threads at that time and toss the fabric in the dryer, a very fast operation. I run the dryer about 20 minutes until they're just dry, take them out shortly after it stops, and fold them right away. Without loose threads, they do not tangle in the dryer. They don't get ironed until I'm ready to use them and they never get (or need) starch.

My fabrics never tie themselves in knots, are never deeply creased or wrinkled, and I don't waste my time with pinking or clipping or serging or pinning or zigzagging or sewing the edges together or any of the other suggested solutions you'll get. The added bonus is I get to save the thread trash for art quilt embellishment.