Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 AM
ArchaicArcane

Good luck!! I hope you do, and of course, pics will be appreciated.

In other news, yes, I'm still up, I decided to oil the machine, and see if that freed it up a bit. It did. It hasn't been cleaned yet, because it threw a curve ball at me. (That's what I get for looking at it in the dark)

I was moving the hand wheel as I was oiling it, and realised "Hey! Those dogs aren't moving!"
The DH was encouraging as ever - "I'm sure it's just something disengaged, it will be something simple"

LOL! Then he went to bed. Well, I'm a little compulsive. I had to know if I'd gotten a dudder.
Investigating further, I figured out that the horizontal shaft was turning (hence the needle going up and down), but the vertical wasn't. Uh oh. New territory for me, and not even on a Singer, so little to no reference materials.

I tried to take the hand wheel off, that was a no go. I pulled the inspection plate on the front, above the logo plate, and found that there were set screws under it, but they didn't line up with the holes.

I have a confession to make. I sat there thinking, how the heck do you get in here,... scratching my head. Probably a good 10 mins I spent that way. Then I put my hand on the back of the pillar in just the right way, and realised there was a screw there. Turned it around, and found 2 screws, and the whole back comes off! (missing -that- is a sign you need to go to sleep and tackle it in the morning. )

You'll never guess what I found....

I'll post the pic in the morning.