Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Geri B

there is a group at a local sewing center that is doing a bed size quilt that way now....I have seen a finished one and it is cool......I have recently seen a work in progress so I was able to see the back side.....the appliqued square is machine stitched using various stitches that are on the machine using a thin batting instead of a stabilizer...then they are sashed, when all are done, they are sewn together another layer of thin batting and then backing and then quilted.....let me add that the blocks that have the batting/applique work are also quilt as you go...each one has its background line quilted, either squiggly, straight, diagonal, whatever, then the iron on appliques are put on, edges finished as in directions with stitches featured as built in on machines and etc.........I would like to try one, but don'twant to "join", would like to use patterns and use my own stash, don't need anymore fabric!!!!! Maybe I will "design" my own from coloring books or pattern books.......maybe, someday.......