View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 PM
cannyquilter

Have only just had a chance to read this topic, and I too was upset to read the comments about us Brits.

I was lucky enough to be successful in the "lottery" for tickets and was able to go to London to watch the qualifiers for the gymnastics yesterday. I spent the day in London, I walked most of the time as we had been told that the transport system would be very busy. We had already booked a river bus to take us to North Greenwich arena and back.

The thing that struck me was how quiet London was, people had been told to expect distruption and travel problems and so had stayed away. I could not help but think about all the small businesses that are going to lose trade during the games.

The organisation at the arena was great lots of people to direct and help with information all pleasant and friendly security effective but not any more bother than at the airport.

As to the opening ceremony I thought it was great, there were some bits I did not like but that was my personal preference (have never liked Mr. Bean). And as to Paul McCartney, yes he was there just to sing one song! And he would have been honoured to have been asked to take part in such an important ceremony for his country.

I watched the men's gymnastics and the US team was in the round I watched. They did good!

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Yes - me to !!

When I read this thread last night - as I had watched the opening ceremony - I was just so sorry to read the negative comments and I could not reply straight away. We all have the right to air our thoughts - but sometimes I feel the less said the better! I do not think people realize how narrow our streets are here in the UK - and congestion can EASILY occur. Therefore commutes to work can be difficult at the best of times as general life goes on. I am SO proud to be British - as we all are of our nationality - but we excelled ourselves last night. Good luck to all participants and I pray that the games are safe and successful.
Dotty D England, UK.