View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Helen S

Default Chocolate chip cookies with stevia

I have to tell you this...because Chocolate Chip Cookies are DH's favorite food, I went on a quest to find a really good sugar-free, lower carb CRISPY cookie recipe several years ago with no luck. =(

After much experimentation, this is what I came up with, and believe me when I say that if you follow this recipe without substitutions, they have the texture of a Keebler brand Pecan Sandie cookie!!!

I have been hoarding a small supply of miniature chocolate chips that were sweetened with Erythritol, purchased while in California a couple of years ago at WinCo Foods in Folsom. They no longer carry them! For some reason, I felt the need to buy about five pounds of them that day, when I next visited that store they were gone forever. So, you'll have to decide for yourself what kind of chocolate you use in this recipe as I can't advise you on that.

I buy things like the Resistant Wheat Starch at http://www.netrition.com. I have no affiliation to them whatsoever, it's just where I like to buy low carb ingredients because they've always got what I need and are great to deal with, not to mention a flat-rate shipping fee, no matter how much you buy at one time, or at least they did the last time I was on their website.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES WITH STEVIA
©Helen Sherburne 2009

54 calories each (without nuts), 4 carbs each, 4.5 g cholesterol each, 1 g protein each, 1.5 g sodium each!

1 cup all-purpose flour (cringe!)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/2 tsp Stevia Powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 to 1 1/4 cups sugar-free chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 tsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75 (optional, BUT...resistant wheat starch provides crispness to sugar-free cookies!)

Preheat oven to 350º
In medium mixing bowl (I like to use a paper plate instead of a bowl so I can pour the dry ingredients into my mixing bowl), mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, egg and egg white and vanilla extract until creamy, then slowly stir in the dry
ingredients. Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart, then flatten to about 1/2" thickness with wet fingers. (they will NOT flatten by themselves!) Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until cookies are golden.
Remove to cooling rack. HIDE THEM QUICKLY!!!