Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Chocolate chip cookies with stevia >

Chocolate chip cookies with stevia

Chocolate chip cookies with stevia

Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Chocolate chip cookies with stevia

I have to tell you this...because Chocolate Chip Cookies are DH's favorite food, I went on a quest to find a really good sugar-free, lower carb CRISPY cookie recipe several years ago with no luck. =(

After much experimentation, this is what I came up with, and believe me when I say that if you follow this recipe without substitutions, they have the texture of a Keebler brand Pecan Sandie cookie!!!

I have been hoarding a small supply of miniature chocolate chips that were sweetened with Erythritol, purchased while in California a couple of years ago at WinCo Foods in Folsom. They no longer carry them! For some reason, I felt the need to buy about five pounds of them that day, when I next visited that store they were gone forever. So, you'll have to decide for yourself what kind of chocolate you use in this recipe as I can't advise you on that.

I buy things like the Resistant Wheat Starch at http://www.netrition.com. I have no affiliation to them whatsoever, it's just where I like to buy low carb ingredients because they've always got what I need and are great to deal with, not to mention a flat-rate shipping fee, no matter how much you buy at one time, or at least they did the last time I was on their website.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES WITH STEVIA
©Helen Sherburne 2009

54 calories each (without nuts), 4 carbs each, 4.5 g cholesterol each, 1 g protein each, 1.5 g sodium each!

1 cup all-purpose flour (cringe!)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/2 tsp Stevia Powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 to 1 1/4 cups sugar-free chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 tsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75 (optional, BUT...resistant wheat starch provides crispness to sugar-free cookies!)

Preheat oven to 350º
In medium mixing bowl (I like to use a paper plate instead of a bowl so I can pour the dry ingredients into my mixing bowl), mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, egg and egg white and vanilla extract until creamy, then slowly stir in the dry
ingredients. Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart, then flatten to about 1/2" thickness with wet fingers. (they will NOT flatten by themselves!) Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until cookies are golden.
Remove to cooling rack. HIDE THEM QUICKLY!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Thanks so much, I can't wait to try them!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM

Helen, I see that you have 5 recipes here. Can I just come over your house and eat so I don't have to copy the receipes and make my self? LOL, Thank you for all of them. Just keep them coming. I need to come to your house and learn to cook. If I hide all the goodies, I'll have to eat them all. (smile)
Old 08-02-2012, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I have to tell you this...because Chocolate Chip Cookies are DH's favorite food, I went on a quest to find a really good sugar-free, lower carb CRISPY cookie recipe several years ago with no luck. =(

After much experimentation, this is what I came up with, and believe me when I say that if you follow this recipe without substitutions, they have the texture of a Keebler brand Pecan Sandie cookie!!!

I have been hoarding a small supply of miniature chocolate chips that were sweetened with Erythritol, purchased while in California a couple of years ago at WinCo Foods in Folsom. They no longer carry them! For some reason, I felt the need to buy about five pounds of them that day, when I next visited that store they were gone forever. So, you'll have to decide for yourself what kind of chocolate you use in this recipe as I can't advise you on that.

I buy things like the Resistant Wheat Starch at http://www.netrition.com. I have no affiliation to them whatsoever, it's just where I like to buy low carb ingredients because they've always got what I need and are great to deal with, not to mention a flat-rate shipping fee, no matter how much you buy at one time, or at least they did the last time I was on their website.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES WITH STEVIA
©Helen Sherburne 2009

54 calories each (without nuts), 4 carbs each, 4.5 g cholesterol each, 1 g protein each, 1.5 g sodium each!

1 cup all-purpose flour (cringe!)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/2 tsp Stevia Powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 to 1 1/4 cups sugar-free chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 tsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75 (optional, BUT...resistant wheat starch provides crispness to sugar-free cookies!)

Preheat oven to 350º
In medium mixing bowl (I like to use a paper plate instead of a bowl so I can pour the dry ingredients into my mixing bowl), mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, egg and egg white and vanilla extract until creamy, then slowly stir in the dry
ingredients. Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart, then flatten to about 1/2" thickness with wet fingers. (they will NOT flatten by themselves!) Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until cookies are golden.
Remove to cooling rack. HIDE THEM QUICKLY!!!
Very useful information about the stevia......thanks a lot.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Helen, I see that you have 5 recipes here. Can I just come over your house and eat so I don't have to copy the receipes and make my self? LOL, Thank you for all of them. Just keep them coming. I need to come to your house and learn to cook. If I hide all the goodies, I'll have to eat them all. (smile)
LOL! Since I just did the grocery shopping I DO have the ingredients, but we're supposed to be into the mid 90's by the weekend, so guess I won't be baking anything for the next week or so. RE learning to cook, if you just dump it all into a bowl and mix it will probably come out ok, but just ok. haha When it comes to eating these, I HAVE to hide them...no self-control here! lol If only I was a foot taller! =D