Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 PM
mom-6

I also grew up with one of the black with gold trim Singer machines from the 40s.

And that is what we had in my HS home ec classes as well. They were several different models, but the only real difference was the stitch length regulator knob or lever design. All were in plain cabinets and had the knee lever which activated what we mostly use now as a foot pedal.

As a HS graduation present I got an aqua Singer 327k (think that was the model #) that was what I used all through college and quite a few years past that. Made lots of shorts and shirts for little boys on it as well as most of my clothes and even matching leisure suits for DH and the boys at one point.

When I moved back to my home town I again used Mom's Singer until the house burned in 2000. Should have rescued it from the debris, but I was in shock and just wanted to move on...silly me...fire marshall said it should be OK.

After that I went through quite a few yard sale machines and finally upgraded to cheapie Singer and Brother machines from Wally World. Then I discovered this board and jumped on the featherweight bandwagon...never to return to anything else...unless I decide to get an embroidery machine at some point in the future. Have been considering that, but not sure I would use it enough to justify the expense.

Oh, and I do have a Singer treadle machine that I got a year or so ago that needs some TLC and a belt. I think it is also from the 40's.

Last edited by mom-6; 08-01-2012 at 05:48 PM.