Thread: Canned Peaches
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Caswews

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

DH"s Grandmother canned everything including fish, I only did the vegetables and fruits with her. We also did jellies, and jams and mixes you would not believe-zuchini-orange-jalapeno jelly (which was yummy, byt the way).. LOL All kinds of things and had a blast doing it as well. So many memories of doing the "canning thing" in the summer when everything came in. I ran across a list of what we did one year (DH's Grandmother kept track of all of that) and sat down to read the 2 page listing and couldn't believe we had done all of that in one season, meanwhile she was canning meats when not at our house canning veggies, or making jellies, jams. I think her favorite was the marmalades.
Memories for sure of canning with my grandmother during the summer months came back to life, and the homemade pastries that we made and froze .. SO needless to say when DH said he wanted to can this year I was so excited, and we went to get the fresh peaches (they were picking them right off the trees), hurried home and made the peaches. Now to make other items from the recipes and the canning books that she had marked to make.
I believe our heritage (at least my family) is from Sweden(have to trace it some day!LOL) and the DH's family is from Germany. SO needless to say: interesting meals for sure !LOL