Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
cmw0829

Default What do you think of my idea for basting quilts?

I've seen Sharon Schamber's videos on thread basting: rolling the top and backing on different 1x4 boards, then unrolling the backing, lay on the batting and unroll the top, then baste with thread. The appeal of this is no safety pins, can easily mark tops after basting rather than before, can baste and put aside until the urge to quilt appears. However, I don't really want to deal with the rolling/unrolling, and hand-basting would take f-o-r-e-v-e-r!

Then I read about someone who uses a long-armer just to baste her quilts and then she quilts herself on her domestic when she gets around to it.

So here's my idea. Why can't I baste my quilt with pins the usual way (maybe not as closely as I normally would) and then run the quilt under my machine using the basting stitch every six to eight or more inches? (I'm assuming that my even feed would run this long stitch.) Or spray glue baste and then do the same thing just in case the glue loses its stickiness?

I'm just trying to find an easy and cost-effective to have my quilts at the ready.

Thoughts?? Thanks.