Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM
maviskw

Doesn't anyone use quilting frames anymore? I have one that is about 100 years old, and another that was made by my son (the 9 foot sticks) and my husband (the 4 foot sticks). This gives me lots of flexibility in the sizes of quilts I can baste. Of course these were originally made for putting ties onto comforters. My mother-in-law used to use thumb tacks to hold the back in place and then pin the batt and top onto the back with straight pins. Then the neighbors would get together and tie the quilt. Sometimes they sewed the back and top RST and turned it RSO and slipped the batt inside somehow. Then it was put onto the frame and tied.
Our homemakers club still ties quilts we make for charity. We tie four or more quilts in a morning at the town hall. I usually get to do the binding, which I love dong.
I have "improved" the frames by stapling strips of denim unto the sticks so that I can pin the back, batt and top all together. If I will be free motion quilting on my home sewing machine, I pin baste. I can do the whole quilt in about 45 minutes or less. I don't have to roll the sides in like we need to do when we tie because we can't reach the middle.