Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of my idea for basting quilts? >

What do you think of my idea for basting quilts?

What do you think of my idea for basting quilts?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I purchased a bunch of foam ear plugs and some flower pins and they work just like the Pinmoors and a whole lot less expensive too! Ebay has the earplugs, I got the ones that are the same diameter from end to end, not the slanted ones, and they don't have connecting pieces. They are just foam pieces and they work grand. Flower pins or long quilting pins would work the same. Try a few and see if you like them.
I just did a Google and came up with 200 pairs of the ear foams for $26.96 - that would net you 400 of them. http://www.coopersafety.com/product/...lugs-1319.aspx

Marysewfun
Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by rdem View Post
for basting, i use iron on fusible web hemming tape. you just tear it in peices, aprox 1", and place between fabrics and iron to stick, if fabric stretches when you sew you can re-iron and pull fabrics apart to re-position then iron to glue again. can be sewn straight through. I find it a lot easier than pins especially with arthritic hands.
I use that hemming tape for a lot of things including placing appliques, or tacking them down when putting a group of them together to "build" something. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 08-11-2012, 03:56 PM

you can use the thread that dissolves with water. I have done the basting with that use spray if it's a small quilt if it's quite large I would use pins not as close as you normally do use your even feed with long stiches.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 PM

My friend lived inPortugal and Mexico for years and says people pay the long arm quilters to sandwich there quilts for them. Sounds better than hours on the floor.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 PM

As a pinmoor alternative, I read a tip in a quilt magazine that might be worth a try. This quilter bought a pack of foam door hangers at Joanns and cut them into pieces...would be cheaper even than the ear plugs. They also sell craft sheets of the foam, too.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 AM

I knew I had read about basting on a long arm somewhere . Here of course! So yesterday I go to the quilt shop to ask about it.. WELL..... First she said she had never heard of such a thing and looked at me like I was nuts and Her machine wouldn't do that. And besides it wouldn't be worth her time to do it.. And after telling the young lady that worked there to see if someone elses card was up on the shelf (it wasn't ) she just walked away into the back room. Needless to say I wasn't impressed.. Today I decided to search on line because after stopping at the sew and vac place (they have classes and such) He had never heard of it either, I did think I was nuts.. LOL I was glad to find this post. Now if I can find someone local to do it it will be nice.