Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of my idea for basting quilts? >

What do you think of my idea for basting quilts?

What do you think of my idea for basting quilts?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jamsbuying View Post
I, too, use the spray - usually 505 bought at JoAnns with coupon. However, I've seen the demo on 'Pinmores' and may order a bag to try. Leah Day uses them now and seems to like them. Here is the link: http://www.pinmoor.com/index.html
I just finished a quilt using 505 and Pinmoors...what a dream!!! Finally, I won't hate the basting part.
I don't have room in my house to baste...took down the dining room table, so I went to a friend who has a pingpong table and together we spread the layers over the table,sprayed and pinmoored..the thing was DONE in 15 minutes!
I took it home and machine quilted with my walking foot. It's perfect. I will never ever ever use another blankety blank safety pin again on a baste job.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dorrell ann View Post
I still have problems basting my quilts and might try the spray-I really enjoy reading all of the comments -what piles of info!!!!
Keep your eyes peeled for sales on 505. Joanne's had it ffor online orders for 6.99 a can. free shipping over 35.00 so a friend and I went together and bought 3 cans a piece.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM

a couple of weeks ago I watched a video from Missouri Quilt Co. and Jenny was on with her daughter Hillary for [h=1]Beginner Free Motion Quilting (Machine Quilting) [/h]Hillary uses basting spray and said she has gotten it on her carpets and doesn't have a problem with it. So maybe you can use basting spray with your quilts on the floor. Watch the video to hear the complete conversation.

This gave me hope as I don't have a garage, and no place I could use in the basement to spray.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 PM

I have good luck with Sharon's process but instead of basting I use Pinmoors. Goes much faster.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by jamsbuying View Post
I, too, use the spray - usually 505 bought at JoAnns with coupon. However, I've seen the demo on 'Pinmores' and may order a bag to try. Leah Day uses them now and seems to like them. Here is the link: http://www.pinmoor.com/index.html
I purchased a bunch of foam ear plugs and some flower pins and they work just like the Pinmoors and a whole lot less expensive too! Ebay has the earplugs, I got the ones that are the same diameter from end to end, not the slanted ones, and they don't have connecting pieces. They are just foam pieces and they work grand. Flower pins or long quilting pins would work the same. Try a few and see if you like them.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 AM

I lay the sandwich on the dining room table (quite large) then I slide my cutting mat under the part that I am pinning with curved safety pins. I start in the center and smooth as I go from under and on top pinning outward and sliding the quilt keeping the cutting board under all.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 AM

The really nice thing about using my quilting frames is that the whole thing is really tight. I pull all three layers snug and put in the first pins on opposite sides working back and forth to start. Our neighbor, George, used to tease us and threatened to use our framed quilts for a trampoline.
Then we put in ties or pin basting. There never is a wrinkle in the back.
When this is set up in my kitchen, I sometimes tell my husband that the easiest way to get to the other side is to go out the back door, walk around the house and come in another door. LOL
Old 08-09-2012, 05:06 AM

I spray baste mine in the garage on the wall that I tape some newspaper to. It holds together well, even over time. If I had to undo pins all the time, I would go crazy when FMQ. If I had to rip out basting stitches, I would mess up the thread or fabric. I FMQ on my vintage Singer 301s and the spray basting works for me. I tape the backing to the wall with many strips, starting at the corners, then middles, then middle of the middles and so on until it is taut. Then, I spray baste the batting, pat it into place, then spray the batting and put the top on, patting in place. If it is a large quilt, then I ask my husband (6'4") for help to hold it. I am very happy with this method as it enables me to get going and quilt.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 AM

Since I discovered basting my quilt with 505 or June Tailor Basting spray (505 much less fumes) on my design wall, I will never go back to crawling around on the floor, hurting my hands with the pins, trying to sew a basting stitch (which always broke) and killing my back and knees. I love using my design wall.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I just pin mine with big safety pins on my glass topped dining table. It works for me.
The only reason I miss my old glass dining room table is how easy it was to stretch and tape my quilt backings! I finally got a 4x8 sheet of plywood, edges smoothed, and my DH drags it in to put over the wood table when I need to sandwich. I get no puckers when I do it this way, but still use quilters safety pins (and a grapefruit spoon to get the sharp end back up) and often will baste as well. I just do not like the way it feels with spray baste; personal preference.