View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 AM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
We're kind of deviating from the original intent of this thread, but that's OK. My question about CL was specific to that venue in that I can keep it local. I didn't want to get into shipping if I could avoid it.
And on a forum this large I really don't know just how many people would be interested. Most of us already have a bunch of machines and know what we are looking for. (IE; not wanting plastic gears.)
And the one time I looked at the for sale place here it was limited to quilting related items only. Which leaves out a lot of sewing stuff I'd think.

Joe
You are correct in pointing out that this is a bit off your intended topic. But, since it has been brought into the conversation ...

Eligible members are allowed to offer sewing machines for sale in our Thrift Shop/Yard Sale section but I don't recommend it. There are several reasons I don't believe it's a good idea:

1. You are required to take at least 40% off current market value when calculating your asking price.
2. You cannot use the "for new" value because all machines sold here are considered used even if they are new in the box. You have to discount 40% from the current market value of a used machine of that make and model.
3. Since we are not a marketplace we will never offer any protection whatsoever to either buyer or seller. We don't get involved in disputes. Unless you are practically giving it away, that's a pretty expensive risk to take for either party.

Whenever anybody asks, I highly recommend offering high end items like machines in a proper marketplace where you can set a price as high as you like and that offers protections to buyers and sellers alike. I'm afraid I can't make any personal recommendations. I've never tried to sell a machine anywhere.