Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
Ok I am gonna ask a really dumn question. Just remember I am fairly new to all the sewing/quilting stuff. What is the difference between bias tape and binding??
Bias tape is used for applique. There are different ways of making it. The one I make with the Clover bias tape maker folds each edge in to meet at the center. Bias tape is commonly used for the curving stems of flowers and for the "lead" in stained glass quilting. There are other ways of making or applying bias tape, but basically it is used whenever you need long, narrow curves in a design. This is because fabric cut on the bias has some stretch and"give" to it, so it can be manipulated around curves. Bias tape is typically not used to bind quilts because there would be only a single layer of fabric at the quilt's edge (at least, made the way I make it with a Clover bias tape maker), and the edge is what gets the most wear so you want something strong there.

Binding for quilts can be bias or can be straight-grain.

Double-fold bias binding is considered the strongest application because there is no single thread running along the edge, which gets the most wear. The binding's edge is composed of criss-crossing threads because the strips were cut on the bias, and there is a double layer of fabric in case the first layer gets worn through. (This is the "double-fold" part of double-fold bias binding.) Bias binding is necessary if the edge of the quilt is curved (for example, scallops) because it can bend around curves. For straight edges, the quilter has the choice of bias binding or straight grain bnding.

The most common binding these days is double-fold straight grain because it is the easiest to cut and apply and requires less fabric than bias. It is applied just the same as double-fold bias binding, but the strips are cut on the straight-of-grain rather than on the bias.

Straight-grain binding can also be applied as a single layer (single-fold straight grain binding), but that is much less common; it would be even weaker than using bias tape because the single layer of fabric would be on the straight-of-grain, meaning a single thread running along the length of the binding would likely get worn through relatively fast.