View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Lori S

This subject reminds me of a similar situation. My Mom did grow up in the depression.. and could not bring herself to ged rid of any thing that had potential use . I went to help her get ready for new carpet in her sewing room...and the contents was overwhelming. She kept saying "just move it .. I'll go through it later". I finally convinced her that she had help now and maybe a few things could be "repurposed to other needy sewers"... and we could create the sewing room she dreamed of. Two SUV full trips to the GoodWill, we still had a MORE than ample stash. It was interesting that she had the current purchaces on the outer perimeter , and there was stuff taking up useful effiecient space that had been there for more years than I can remember , on the valuable shelf space. So the predominant image when you walked in was the old .. and the new was not at all visable
When I asked her what fabrics she really wanted to sew she was clear .. it was the newer fabrics. The old was just mucking up the space, and there was a pronouced weight/guilt that these fabrics if purged was an admission of failure and reckless waste. The only emotional way for her to release was the concept that she had an abundance that should be shared with those who had not had the good fortune to have such a stash.
When the room was put back together after new carpet , my sister and I spent two days creating the best possible space . She was overjoyed and brought to tears at the "new" room . It was a very visable relief , and there is a renewed joy in her sewing.
My point to this tale is ... do what it takes to rid the weights so that your creativity and joy in your craft can fly!
Just a note: I keep looking at the photos of board members Goodwill "finds" thinking I will see the drop offs I made... and seeing the delight that they were able to have this orphaned goodies at a affordable price.

Last edited by Lori S; 08-11-2012 at 06:18 AM.