View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
SandyQuilter

I have read many comments about starch use. I have never used it in over 30 years of quilting and my quilts are accurate. I don't believe that early quilters used it either. After all, heating a heavy iron made of iron on a stove that required stoking would be a terrible job. Early quilters could made an accurate Mariner's Compass without starch. They could also make inaccurate ones just like today. Certainly, some of our tools make our accuracy easier and I so use rotary cutting and wonderful rulers.

However, I cringe to think that new quilters read comments about needing to use starch in order to have an accurate quilt. That is simply not true.

What does make for machine assembly accuracy is accurate templates, cutting and sewing slow enough in order to control the fabric as it goes under the presser foot of the sewing machine. When hand sewing, it requires accurate templates, careful fabric marking, and stitching on both patches marked sewing lines.
And for either machine or hand sewing, pressing gently, not ironing with vigor is crucial.

I apologize if I've ruffled anyone's feathers, however, I've bitten my tongue long enough. And I've tried starching. It took too long and didn't add anything to my quilting accuracy, I simply don't see the point.
SandyQuilter