View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Suzan88

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
I made a quilt for each of my three (step) grandchildren when they were born. I made them to match my step-daughters nursery theme and colors, and bought high quality fabric and paid for LA quilting to complement. I've never seen them again. That hurts my feelings but I won't ever say anything.

My sister hinted that she would like a king-sized quilt made into a duvet cover to cover up her store bought comforter SO THE DOGS COULD GET ON THE BED AND NOT DAMAGE HER COMFORTER. Fat chance I would ever make one for her.

I try to let go when I give one of my quilts as a gift but when I put so much of myself into it's kind of watching your child going out into the world and wanting them to be loved. It is easier to donate a charity quilt knowing you'll never see it again.

That made me laugh - sorry - but it reminded me of the very expensive wall quilt I made that a friend persuaded - nagged - me to part with for her wedding anniversary present as it would be 'perfect' on her wall. It ended up - right side up - on a pool table "to prevent the cat from scratching the felt". I wasn't so much hurt as annoyed - I won't 'gift' anything now unless I really want to; I certainly won't have a good quilt wheedled away from me just because someone takes a fancy to it. I think maybe I over react re that quilt because it was the first Mariner's Compass quilt I made and it took me ages to get every point perfect.