Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you see your quilt >

When you see your quilt

When you see your quilt

Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
I gave a wall quilt to my son in law for his birthday, he is an artist. The next time I saw it, it was NAILED to a wall in the Bathroom, with the back showing. I asked him why he didn't show the front side, his reply 'I wanted everyone to know who made it'. At the time I did not realize it was nailed also, when I found
that out, I was so angry I was afraid to say anything. Not only was my feelings hurt, but I was really angry.
There's a lesson for all of us. Perhaps we should put grommets in our wall hangings, or if we put sleeves on the backs then we should also give a rod of some kind and brackets for the sleeve to be used with, and put small labels on the front of the wall hangings. After all, original oil paintings are signed on the front, so perhaps our quilted items should be also.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 AM

I made a stairway to fortune quilt in red, black and white for my grandson. It was a lot of work! He is a quirky 19 year old and just for fun, I put pale aqua sock monkey fabric on the back. You guessed it. The sock monkey side is always up. He loves that quilt and is always wrapped up in it to watch TV when it is not on his bed.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 AM

I mostly make scrappy ones that are to be well used so I don't think or worry much about it . If I put a lot of money into one I would not be happy if it were terribly misused . I made my parents a king size one once . It is still in their closet . I just got a king size bed Hmmmmmm Maybe I need to swipe it
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM

I have given away numerous quilts - mostly to family - some to friends. Some I know have been used. Others are 'saved'. And still others I have no idea what their status is. I just don't worry about it. I enjoyed it when I made it and I enjoyed giving it. Whether or not they enjoy it (or appreciate it) is beyond my control. I would possibly be hurt if I discovered it was given to the dog but it is no longer mine. I try to focus on the enjoyment I received from making it and giving it.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 PM

Sometimes when the quilts are "put away", I found out it was because the recipient thought it was too special to use everyday.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by berrypatch View Post
I must add that I have given quilts to my grandchidren & when I asked him if it was keeping him warm, he said he "lost it" My daughter-in-law never uses anything I give them, homemade or bought, believe me, this hurts. What would you do ??;/
My former DIL never let the children use the quilts I made them and when I told her it was OK, even good, if they used them to death, she told me she saw no good reason to cut up perfectly good fabric and sew it back together again. Oh my.... After the divorce I asked my son to take the quilts to his place (they share custody) and, against the "rule" the new puppy got to 2 of them and chewed them up pretty badly. They were mailed to me, at my request, and someday I'll get around to fixing them. But the oldest girl told me recently that she has a vision in her head for a quilt and wants to know if I'll help her make it!!!!!!!! She still wants her other quilts back, fixed, but understands the problem (it was hers that got chewed and she knows she's the one who left the bedroom door open). I have other commitments right now, but maybe next summer we can make a quilt together!!!! All's well that ends well.

FREE Quilting Newsletter