Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you see your quilt >

When you see your quilt

When you see your quilt

Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 PM

I started out with the quilt my Mom made me on top of my bed so it could be seen but soon decided that wouldn't work. The fur babies would get on it and our kiddos always ended up cuddled up on the bed. I found a (thankfully) small stain on it. So now it is under the bedspread to keep it safe, but I can see it when I turn down the bed and I can feel myself hugged in my Mom's love. So, it isn't because I don't like it that it is covered, but because I love it so much and would be devastated(?) if something happened to it.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 PM

As long as they are not being used in the driveway to lie on when changing the oil in the car.... my sister's son actually did that with one of his Grma's quilts! He was a teenager, but still should have respected it enough not to use it like that!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 PM

When I give a baby quilt I add a small note to "Dear Mommy" : Miss Beth says I can sleep with this, drag it thru the mall, wrap the dog in it and if it wears out ,she will make me another one! Love (insert baby's name) There are only a few things that upset me when I give a quilt as a gift: #1 don't call it a BLANKET #2don't tell me you will put it away for good. It was meant to be USED..even if it means being used on the ground for a picnic or if it lives in the back of the car #3 not saying THANK YOU. I am not a good letter writer, never have been, so I don't expect that. But a nice thank you...or tell me how its being used or that your mother said it was pretty. I will climb off my soapbox now! (all those have happened to me..esp #3 almost makes me want to stop gifting quilts. Except I KNOW the babies love 'em!)
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
My granddaugther is now 9 yrs. old and she STILL brings that quilt upstairs with her when she wakes up!! It is now in shreds but she won't take anything new she loves her "Blankie". Her brother who is 4 also loves his quilt. He also brings his upstairs when I am on duty babysitting. It does my heart good that they really do love and appreciate them. But I really am more than ready for my granddaugther to adopt a new, bigger quilt and tuck old Blankie away. But so far she won't hear of it!!
Reminds me of the quilt my sister made and gave to my son as he didn't have one at age 2 for his birthday. It is made from Polyester doubleknit backing and the top is prequilted animals and gingham squares from her days doing custom draperies and home dec for a local store. Anyway, son is almost 37 and that blankie is still in use on his bed or packed when he is going out of town. On the honeymoon his wife couldn't figure out why they had to go back two hundred miles to retrieve the blankie at home before they could go on their trip! LOL So, some quilts literally bite the dust with all the love that is shared under and on them and continue to hang in there. I make quilts and enjoy the process and hope they find a niche to fill in someone else's home. If they eventually end up as the padding under the car as someone works to keep the beloved car running, who am I to comment? My quilts generally are 100% cotton with cotton batting so they can cushion and absorb most anything. I am trying to make a few to have on hand when there is a disaster and someone needs a blanket as well as an affirmation that they are cared for by other members of the community. God forbid that I not make an effort for charity to be just the same as something I would gift anyone I know with. Upholstry fabric makes great utility quilts too.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 AM

Let's be realistic..not everyone "likes" quilts. Might explain why they display them with the backing side exposed. I am no longer into dried flower arrangements...I rec'd a door wreath for a gift ten years ago..purple flowers and purple ribbons. Not my taste. BUT I did hang it proudly for a while and then it "disappeared". I sent it on its way to someone who DID love it.

I don't make large quilt projects for anyone. period. Not as gifts that is. Raffles and fundraisers. maybe. Charity quilts...of course.

I used to make raggedy ann & andy dolls. They took me over 40 hours to make. I did not give them away if I thought for a second they would not be appreciated. I was glad that I did not give a set to one of my friends' baby girl..soon after the child was old enough to play with dolls, she collected 12 American Girl dolls (the mother was obsessed over them). I figured my dolls would have ended up in a pile somewhere. I never regretted not making a set for her. Her mother like to buy ....

I DID make this "child" a memory wall hanging for her college dorm room. She had shared with me that she missed her dogs while away at school so I made a wallhanging using photos of all of the pets she had and the two dogs that she now has. I had a blast making it and she loved it! Tthe reactions of her parents was interesting. "we have never seen anything like this". It was kind of funny...the perplexed looks on their faces.

Let's face it, there are so many people who don't think anyone still "quilts" or "sews" in this world.

Sandy
Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 AM

My own personal enjoyment comes from making the quilt. From the idea to the last stitch on the binding. Hope it will be used and appreciated, but don't mind if it is lovingly stored away for "someday" to remember me by. I have to admit though that I cringed a little when I went to a grandson's home and their huge great dane was using the quilt I made for his wife's college graduation for to sleep one. However, in their defense, they do love that dog like a child. Oh, well.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM

Perhaps the bottom line is WHY we quilt. Every quilt I make is for love... especially if it is for someone I know or is in my family. The ones I make for people I don't know I still pour love into because while I'm making them I try to put some obvious sweet, or exciting thing into them.... to make them interesting.

If it is family or close friend I would not hesitate to ask for a quilt back, and ask them what they would like. If the answer is "we really have never liked quilts" then that is OK; it's a good answer.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM

If I see a quilt I have given and it is being used I am excited! That's exactly what I made it for. I don't care if they have another quilt or bedspread on it. I'm just glad they like it enough to use it for whatever reason. As for the back of the quilt being shown, it could have been the way it ended up after the last use! If it was in a car, they must have needed it to keep someone warm and didn't bring it back in yet. The point is, it is being used.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 AM

I gave a wall quilt to my son in law for his birthday, he is an artist. The next time I saw it, it was NAILED to a wall in the Bathroom, with the back showing. I asked him why he didn't show the front side, his reply 'I wanted everyone to know who made it'. At the time I did not realize it was nailed also, when I found that out, I was so angry I was afraid to say anything. Not only was my feelings hurt, but I was really angry.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 AM

Maybe we need to really look at who we want to give the quilt to and IF they will appreciate it respectfully. Honestly, once I give any gift, I don't "check up" on the gift to make sure it is treated in a respectful manner. BUT I don't give quilts either. Whatever the recipient wants to do with the gift is their choice. Regifted if you want to! I've done that myself.....its better that someone who wants it and will use it ...has it. my 2 cents.

sandy

FREE Quilting Newsletter