View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

I think we all know that a gift belongs to the recipient once we give it away. (How obnoxious would we be if we showed up at their house to make sure it was being used the way we wanted it to be?) If it's hidden under other quilts, folded up in the back of the car, or kept on a closet shelf, it's pretty obvious they don't like looking at your quilt. At least they are making some sort of use out of it, but the question was "Are your feelings hurt?" and of course they are! We don't say this to them, but yes it hurts that they don't love your artistry as much as you hoped they would. It hurts. When a gift is underappreciated in this way, I make a FIRM mental note never to give the person another gift with as much of 'me' invested in it... to spare myself more hurt. I think that's human nature.

It's very risky to give handmade gifts when you don't know for sure how they will be received, because you are giving part of yourself away with them. Rejection of the gift is going to feel like rejection of you.