View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Kay in Iowa

Default Update on Rowenta fire

Well, after a very busy summer, I finally sent in my iron that caught on fire as I was using it. I sent with it, photos of my burnt hand as well as photos of the big burn hole in my backing fabric. I received a phone call from Rowenta about 10 days ago while we were at the Iowa State Fair. Their representative told me the iron was manufactured in 2007 - I probably didn't use it until 2009 I think - maybe 2010 - but they had the results from looking at the iron and he said the cord has "tiny wires in it that break from using the iron" - I said, "so it was a defective cord" - "Oh no - it was just used a lot and this happens quite often"................to say I was STUNDED was an understatement. He actually told me "this happens quite often"...........BEWARE - BEWARE. I told him I have been ironing for over 60 years and I certainly hope it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN! I am still in a state of disbelief! Since I was outside the building that had the State Fire Marshal's display at the State Fair when he called me on my cell phone - I went in and talked to the State Building Code Inspector. He advised me to contact the Product Safety Council which I intend to do. We arrived home last night and here was a box with a new Rowenta iron in it. Now - here's the question - would you use it? And, if not, what iron would you buy? I have two other Rowentas and now I'm gun shy. I'm kind of anxious about the whole thing. Oh - one more thing - the quilt I made that caught on fire - I embroidered a patch for that section of the backing - and would you believe I WON A BLUE RIBBON ON THE QUILT at the Iowa State Fair................happy dance, happy dance! ! ! Will try and get a picture on soon.