Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on Rowenta fire >

Update on Rowenta fire

Update on Rowenta fire

Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Wow, after handling liability claims for a major insurance company for as many years as I did I am more than just a little surprised that they didn't send someone to your home not only with a new iron but with a check to cover your medical bills and a little more. It 's unusual to find someone as nice as you are on the subject and with the person admitting this is a known problem they are 100% liable for what happened. If this really is a known problem they should be subject to recall. Can you imagine what Ford would have to deal with if this was one of their cars?

Congratulations on your blue ribbon - as they say we need to accentuate the positive and that is most definitely the positive!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM

I think of you every time I Iron now I also own a Rowenta. I am still using it but am concerned everytime I use it. I look for other Irons after you orignal post tryed 2 others and took both of them back. I am looking at on of those irons with the water tank but do not know what one to get.

I hope you hand it doing well and YIPPIE on your blue ribbon
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
mah

I won't buy another Rowenta iron because mine started smoking too and I caught it in time before a fire actually started. I don't remember which one it was of theirs and I never did think of sending it to them for inspection. This happened a couple of years ago. I bought a Shark from Penneys and it works well.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM

I have a brand new Rowenta I won a couple years ago up in my closet. I haven't used it as I had just bought an Iron about 3 months before... And I am still using it.... wondering if I should ever use the Rowenta now.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 PM

I have never had a problem with an iron in my 63 years. I usually buy a new one when the old one gets too scratched up on the plate. And, I can assure you I never paid more than $20 or so for an iron. I have to wonder why someone would pay $100 for an iron? And, why they would buy the same brand over and over when the first one or two quit working properly within a few years? I thought all you need in an iron is for it to get hot, and make steam when you wanted it to.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM

Congratulations on your blue ribbon. I stopped using my Rowenta iron when it started leaking water all over my fabric. Mine didn't catch on fire, but it did seem to get hotter than I thought it should for the temp I had it set on.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Congratulation on the quilt, you can say it rose from the ashes! I would be afraid to use the iron as well, especially since he said it happens often.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Because of your experience, I put my Rowenta in the trash (the plug seemed warm to the touch) and bought a Black and Decker iron. I will not put water in it for steam and use a spray bottle instead. I don't want my house to burn down, and the answer Rowenta gave you was simply unacceptable. Complain to the Product Safety Commission, and let Rowenta know that you did that. I would also send the iron back to them and say no thanks.
Sue
Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM

I have owned mine for over 8 yrs I believe and use it almost everyday and have never had a problem until last week it steams all the time even when the steamer is off so I just don't put water in it just use a spray bottle. I am so sorry for your accident with the iron I have never heard of anyone having this problem before I have always stood behind Rowenta but make think twice when I replace mine. I hope your hand will he okay .
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
Congratulations on your blue ribbon. I stopped using my Rowenta iron when it started leaking water all over my fabric. Mine didn't catch on fire, but it did seem to get hotter than I thought it should for the temp I had it set on.
I just saw what you wrote and this is what mine started doing last week.