Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on Rowenta fire >

Update on Rowenta fire

Update on Rowenta fire

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Hi Suz - I live at Otho, Iowa - south of Fort Dodge 8 miles. Know exactly where Carroll is as we travel thru there on our way to the airport in Omaha when we travel to California - our youngest son lives in Roseville. Also have a cousin that lives in Carroll.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

First of all, congratulations on your Blue Ribbon Quilt

About your iron, my DH worked for a company a few years ago repairing merchandise that was returned to the point of purchase. The company he worked for bought pallets of this returned merchandise, repaired it and resold it or disposed of it if it couldn't be repaired. Several Rowenta irons came across his desk. Most of them were not repairable due to the temperature circuit board shorting out because of moisture inside the iron and the company would not allow them to purchase new circuit boards. DH was very surprised at the number of these irons that were returned because he had always heard that they were top of the line. I am glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were and you didn't lose your home. Please pursue this with the Product Safety Council. It might save someone's life.

Originally Posted by Kay in Iowa View Post
Well, after a very busy summer, I finally sent in my iron that caught on fire as I was using it. I sent with it, photos of my burnt hand as well as photos of the big burn hole in my backing fabric. I received a phone call from Rowenta about 10 days ago while we were at the Iowa State Fair. Their representative told me the iron was manufactured in 2007 - I probably didn't use it until 2009 I think - maybe 2010 - but they had the results from looking at the iron and he said the cord has "tiny wires in it that break from using the iron" - I said, "so it was a defective cord" - "Oh no - it was just used a lot and this happens quite often"................to say I was STUNDED was an understatement. He actually told me "this happens quite often"...........BEWARE - BEWARE. I told him I have been ironing for over 60 years and I certainly hope it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN! I am still in a state of disbelief! Since I was outside the building that had the State Fire Marshal's display at the State Fair when he called me on my cell phone - I went in and talked to the State Building Code Inspector. He advised me to contact the Product Safety Council which I intend to do. We arrived home last night and here was a box with a new Rowenta iron in it. Now - here's the question - would you use it? And, if not, what iron would you buy? I have two other Rowentas and now I'm gun shy. I'm kind of anxious about the whole thing. Oh - one more thing - the quilt I made that caught on fire - I embroidered a patch for that section of the backing - and would you believe I WON A BLUE RIBBON ON THE QUILT at the Iowa State Fair................happy dance, happy dance! ! ! Will try and get a picture on soon.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM

happy your quilt won at the state fair !! But sorry for your Rowenta problems. When mine started leaking within the first year, they did replace it, no questions asked. Then the replacement one started leaking within a year (same area as the first one and it was a different model) so I've sworn off Rowenta irons. Not worth the price to me.

After that, I bought a few cheaper models with the same results. Almost a year ago, I bought a Shark Professional Iron (don't know model # off hand) but it's a great iron for $40. I either bought it at Target or WalMart. It's a nice heavy weight like the Rowenta but has a much larger water reservoir and several levels of steam. I'm very happy with this iron and, now that my other cheaper iron (although I paid $30) is starting to leak, I'll replace it with another Shark.

I hope you get some results from your burned hand. We trust these companies and they should stand behind their products, especially at the prices we pay.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM

I leave my Rowenta plugged into a power strip surge protector on top of my ironing board table. When I finish using it, I turn off the power at the strip...the little light switch button. Is that a problem or is there something I need to know regarding safety?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 PM

I have a Rowenta that I've had several years. There is a heavy plastic sleeve around the cord at the base of the iron that extends about 3" down the cord so when the cord tries to bend, it prevents it, if that makes any sense. Now I understand why they've done that. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Hi Nana Jan - That sleeve you speak of was on my iron as well - it blew off about 1/4" down from the bottom of the sleeve - it was snow white - it looked like someone had cut it off there - not one bit of smoke on it at all - but the rest of the iron had smoke all over it and my hand was BLACK......and burnt. One would think that if the cord had a short in it from a wire breaking - as they told me - from using it - there would be smoke at that point - but there was NO SMOKE there. And - there was NO bend in the cord at all - that was why I was so interested in their telling me exactly what happened INSIDE the iron. But - that didn't happen. It made NO SENSE TO ME at all. But - you can't fight city hall - so here sits the new iron and I don't know if I'll use it or not. I believe something shorted out inside the iron. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.............LOL!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM

I had a Rowenta and loved it but it did start leaking after a couple of years. Writing to the company got no response. I was disappointed because I treated it very well...emptied it every single time I finished using it and used only Spring water. I loved it but wouldn't buy another one. I bought a less expensive (than Rowenta) but heavy duty Sunbeam years before the Rowenta and it's still going strong. I keep one iron upstairs and one downstairs so I always need double but I won't splurge for a Rowenta again. Their customer service is not their forte for sure!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 AM

I have two Rowenta's and love them. I am sure it was a fluke or we would be hearing more about it. I would use them and just make sure they are unpluged before leaving the room ot leaving the house. I think they are good iron's and will continue to use mine but with caution, LOL and congrats on your win on the Quilt, would love to see a pic.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 AM

I just have to tell you....I gave up on the Rowenta brand of irons. At one hundred dollars or more a piece, I have gone through THREE on their irons in the last two years! They all had a problem with leaking water all over the ironing board and my projects. I now use cheap irons and get much better results. Some times the price does not indicate a better product.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:09 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

He acted to flip about the problem, like...yeah, so? Wow! I would call them back and talk to someone over his head and tell them what he said to you. He doesn't need to be working with the public. I leave my iron plugged in all the time and now I'm scared. I will check the cord. If he says it's known to happen to his irons, then it probably has to happen to other irons as well. People, check your cords well. We don't want to lose anything or any pets or anyone.