Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on Rowenta fire >

Update on Rowenta fire

Update on Rowenta fire

Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 AM

I bought a rather expensive Rowenta and am dismayed to find that it spits dirty water. I got water stains on a quilt and a ring bearer pillow. I just purchased a Reliable V100 from Quilt in a Day on sale. I have a Reliable that I use in the house, and now I have one for my sewing studio, too. The Rowenta will go on a shelf.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 AM

Congrats on your winning a blue ribbon on your quilt! I, too, think I would follow up with the product safety council. I think they should pay your medical expenses, and pay for the fabric that was ruined.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Wow what a statement! Please keep us informed. I don't have a Rowenta but my daughter does so I will be warning her. Congrats on your win!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM

First of all congratulations on your quilt! Would live to see a picture of it. Boy the iron story is scary. I do too believe in flukes but man made things came be defective. I hope you wrote the time, date and name of the rep you spoke to and if you did it may help when speaking with the company. I have one of those Aliso automatic stand up irons. I noticed yesterday the handle was awfully hot when I was ironing. Your story is going to make me pay more attention to what is going on with the iron. Does anyone have any feedback about those irons? I guess I will start researching ironsnow. Thanks for opening my eyes about the danger of irons...a little caution can go along ways! Oh yeah my iron spit yesterday too.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrodarme View Post
i just put a rowenta iron in the trash last week....i was doing quite a bit of ironing, tops & back to go to the quilter...i went & pulled out the cord & the plug was HOT!!!!...i thought maybe i just was running it too long & too high....the next day i switched to my shark, same amt of ironing time...the plug was cool when i pulled it out...tried my rowenta again in another plug; same thing...very hot to the touch....i decided it wasnt worth it...i did inspect the cord, no cracks, opening, bends, etc...i wont get another...its not worth the risk...shame on rowenta for their carefree attitude...i wonder their reply if it was their house that burned.....monica in texas
Anytime an electrical plug is hot it is a MAJOR hazard! You were wise to toss it. It would have caught fire right there. The junction between the plug and the wires inside the cord is fragile, and easily broken if anyone pulls the cord out by grasping the cord, instead of the plug, as they should. We had a toaster catch fire in exactly that way once, for exactly that reason. The rest of the family listens to me now, and grasps the plug, not the cord. I'm not saying that's what you did, but I know a fire would have been the result. You could have also had a new cord and plug put on, but it was not safe to use when the cord and plug were getting hot.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 AM

I'm sorry about the injury and hastle you have had with Rowenta.....I firmly believe in having everything in writing both ways.....Its too bad you don't have written proof of the response you received. I think that would give you more leverage. Well anyway be glad that your lovely quilt won and that you are o.k. No don't use that iron that they sent you. I'm glad I read this as I have a Rowenta and will definitely check mine out. It has been sputtering as others have mentioned....so its time for a new one, new brand.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM

What a scary thing to happen. I do hope your hand is okay. They surely missed the boat in handling this situation. I definitely would go to the Consumers Safety Commission & report this. You may save someone else from an even more serious injury or worse. I definitely will NOT buy a Rowenta iron. I have a Tfal iron & love it. No problems at all except with the auto shut off but that seems to be a common problem with that option. It shuts off on me but only when I am doing LOTS of pressing. A couple of shakes & it comes back on but it is annoying at times.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 AM

Congrats upon receiving a Blue Ribbon at the state fair.
Obviously using or not using the iron is your choice. I personally have never had any issues with my rowenta iron, the only kind I use. Though it is very important to note that any electrical appliance can become a hazard if the cord's attachment to the iron or at the plug-in becomes worn out. If the cord is frequently at an odd angle it stresses it more. And of course I can agree with their assessment anything that is used a lot will become weak and thus become a fire hazard, obviously very few items are made to last these days. Always inspect your iron. Good luck and enjoy your accolades.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 AM

I HAD Rowenta iron also and it got to smoking so we called the company and they said to send it to a place
in Bellevue Washington to have it fixed. We did just that and then when they received it they called and said it was
not worth fixing so we called the Rowenta company again and they sent us a new Rowenta iron. In the mean time I
went out and bought a new GE iron and love it . The Rowenta is still in the box on the shelf which is where it probably
will stay. There have been others on this board with the same problems witht the Rowenta iron.

Glad you won a blue ribbon at the fair that made the problem even sweeter.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 AM

Kay, where in Iowa are you? I'm in Carroll, west of DesMoines. SR-30 and SR-71 crosses thru us.

Suz in Iowa