Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on Rowenta fire >

Update on Rowenta fire

Update on Rowenta fire

Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 AM

Congrats on your blue ribbon for your quilt and glad you got a new iron out of the deal.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
Unless you recorded the conversation with the Rowenta employee, it will be a case of he said-she said. You can't prove that is what was said.

Also, you should report it to Product Safety but I think you should never have sent the iron itself back to Rowenta. You now have lost your only proof of what happened.

I am a real cynic when it comes to working with corporations. Do not expect them to do the right thing unless they are forced to. If this iron is a real hazard, it should be recalled.

As for the new iron - there is no way I would use it.
And, by accepting the new replacement iron, you may be considered to have "settled" any claim you might have on them.....if it ever came to a legally filed claim, that is, such as a suit. Doesn't matter much unless you plan to pursue further claims against Rowenta, but something to think about, as sewmary says.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM

All these posts are making me rethink leaving my GE plugged in all the time. It has automatic shut off but the light is always on, indicating that it's plugged in. (My kids come to the house, see the light, think I've forgotten it, and unplug it!)
Maybe it's not safe to leave it plugged in for long periods.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM

I have always used Sunbeam or Black & Decker. I couldn't pay that much for an iron. Even on a cheap iron I have never had a cord do that. That doesn't speak to well of their company.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 AM

#1 Put up a picture of your winning quilt!!!!!

#2 How do you "check" wires that are inside a protectively wrapped cord?

#3 I had a waffle iron cord blow up on me and put a hole right through my dress and panties and gave me a small burn also. But it was one of the first electric waffle irons ever! and I had leaned on it. My father remembered using it when he was a young boy and he was born in 1912! He rewired it and my mom mended my dress. awwww. memories..
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 AM

I had several irons, I used one that I thought of as my "new" iron - one day I looked and saw the manufacture date was 1970!! Now I use a Tfal iron, I love it, the plate stays nice and clean. I don't trust the auto-shut off feature so I unplug it. I don't trust any electric appliances.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 AM

Congratulations on the blue ribbon. I would not hesitate for a minute to use the new Rowenta. I love mine and have never had a minute's trouble with it and it is just about the same age as yours.froggyintexas
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM

I've had Rowenta irons in the past and hated them.... mine always spit water everywhere... so I probably wouldn't use it (but not for safety reasons!).
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM

I would love to see a picture of your winning quilt! I was a Home Ec teacher for 25 years and always heard how wonderful Rowentas were but I could never afford one. When I retired I splurged and bought myself one from Costco. It wasn't cheap even there. It lasted only about 6 mos before it shorted out. I called and wrote to Rowenta and received no compensation what so ever. I returned it to Costco and received a replacement. It spit almost from the getgo. No more Rowentas for me, I was extremely disappointed in them. Our local quilt store told me that they use to sell Reliables, which are also pricey, but quit because no one had heard of them. I ordered a Reliable from Amazon and have been extremely happy with it. It has automatic shut off but you can disable that feature and it stays hot which I love when I am piecing.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
All these posts are making me rethink leaving my GE plugged in all the time. It has automatic shut off but the light is always on, indicating that it's plugged in. (My kids come to the house, see the light, think I've forgotten it, and unplug it!)
Maybe it's not safe to leave it plugged in for long periods.
It's not safe to leave electrical appliances plugged in when not in use. If there is a power surge, the items can get ruined. While plugged in and not in use, they are still consuming some electricity and running up your bill (for nothing). An electrical appliance can start a fire while not in use, and only plugged in, even if no one is at home. People have had their homes burned to the ground in exactly that way. You don't think that by leaving an inexpensive item (like a toaster) plugged in that you are entrusting to it the safety and welfare of everyone and everything in the home, but you are. In my home only major appliances and clocks are left plugged in all the time, plus a few lamps which are plugged in behind large pieces of furniture (bed, couch), making it hard to access them. Anything small or which can be easily unplugged (like my washing machine and clothes dryer) is always unplugged when not in use.