Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on Rowenta fire >

Update on Rowenta fire

Update on Rowenta fire

Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 PM

I was thinking about getting a Rowenta, but think I will try something else
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM

YIPPEE, on your blue ribbon....I have had the same Rowenta for 15 years, no problems, but will certainly check the cord...also, have 2 sunbeams no problems with them either...
Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
I have been using the same Rowenta iron for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I would say your's was probably just a fluke.

Congrats on your blue ribbon!
No, I would say YOURS was the fluke...there are many people on this Board (me included) who have had problems with the Rowentas...to the point where I, at least, will NEVER buy another one...I've had three, and had problems with all of them. None of them hold water in addition to being what looks like a fire hazard. They need to pull them off the market! And it's not like they're inexpensive...
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Wow - I hadn't read anything about this until now. Scary for sure... I've had two Rowentas, paid about $100 for each, and finally after the second one started spitting and leaking, I went to Walmart and bought a T-Fal for about $40 and it works like a dream. Plenty of steam, auto shut-off and a really long cord. Everything I want in an iron for a lot less money. Rowenta was recommended to me by a friend who swears by hers, but I'm re not very excited about the brand. Sounds like they have varying reliability.

I think you should definitely pursue is with the Product Safety Commission. Good luck!!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I use a Reliable and love it. A good weight and lots of steam in adjustable amounts. I use this for pressing yardage.

I really like my small travel Rowenta for pressing seams while I'm sewing.

peace
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 PM

I will never buy another Rowenta iron. I bought one at Macy's and within 1 year it started leaking and by 3 years it died. One day it was sitting on the ironing board behind me as I sewed, getting up to use it periodically. Suddenly it started steaming on it's own, got hotter and hotter, them POP! and it died. Now I am using a Rowenta I bought used at a silent auction at work for $1.00 ... the sole was brown and gunky, I got some cleaner and cleaned it. When the other one died, I started using it, haven't had a problem yet, no leak ... knock on wood ... but I will get something else next time.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

My leaky Rowenta is in a closet. I use a Black and Decker Digital Advantage
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 PM

I iron a lot with my Rowenta Travel Iron. It has that extra plastic piece that goes around the cord where it enters the iron. I see that it has split and no longer supports the cord as it enters the iron. I wonder if its getting time to replace it? Does anyone have a favorite travel iron size brand that they like other than the Rowenta?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Hi Kay! Great job on quilt. You will need to post a picture to show off that beauty. I've seen it girls and it is wonderful!
By the way Kay, I also threw out my rowenta also.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
My leaky Rowenta is in a closet. I use a Black and Decker Digital Advantage
The Digital Advantage is another good iron, I had one before I got the Reliable. It worked great - until I dropped it on brick.