View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Sierra

Oh, I had to laugh at how inept my letter was to some.

"I have never prewashed fabric that didn't unravel." And I have never had an unraveling problem! Are you using a "hand wash" or "delicate" setting on your washing machine?

Reds were mentioned as a "running" problem; I just washed a blue African print shirt 3 times and finally decided it will just have to go into a "blue only" laundry load. I've had greens and blues and browns as well as red fabrics, regular and batiks, bleed like crazy. We all make up our minds of what level of risk we are willing to take.

"If I had to wash my fabric, I'd never get any sewing done." It has saved me hours of "fixing" later!

"If you want to spend your time washing and ironing fabric...." The point was NO IRONING!

"Shrinkage is your friend and the batting has a lot more to do with shrinkage than the fabric." Then washing the fabric before hand doesn't hurt those who like the shrinked look.

I think my problem is my letters are too long for busy people to read. Also, I experiment with all sorts of fabrics. Perhaps those of you who make your quilts all with one company or designer don't have to be so careful. But, anyway, if my ideas on this helped anyone, I guess it was worth it. Have a good day, all....

Last edited by Sierra; 08-29-2012 at 08:10 AM.