Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing before using your fabric >

Washing before using your fabric

Washing before using your fabric

Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 PM

Sometimes I cut the corners on the diagonal - that seems to help with fraying. I wash FQs with the others. Anything smaller goes in a lingerie bag. I have used some charms without washing. If hanging to dry is what you do, then, yes, it's fine. Just keep the colors separate until they are dry. Whatever detergent you normally use is okay. Aren't most or all phosphate free now? I use Shout Color Catchers with any new fabric.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
If you want to spend your time washing and ironing fabric go right ahead. I'd rather sew.

Let me tell you some of the reasons I don't wash. It's not dirty. It comes shrink wrapped from the manufacturer. Fabric comes with a finish that helps avoid sun fading. Shrinkage is your friend and the batting has a lot more to do with shrinkage than the fabric. Even if it shrinks the bed won't mind. Since it's not clothing that has to hang properly the grain doesn't matter either. Even if it bleeds and something else picks it up it's still a quilt and will still keep somebody warm. I'm not allergic to fabric finishes.

The biggest reason is I don't want to spend my time washing and ironing fabric.
With you all the way on this one Scissor Queen. If I washed and ironed first I wouldn't quilt. I tried it - I hated it. I'm lucky, fabric doesn't bother me. I use 5-6 color catchers and have never had a run - including reds. I want to sew, not wash and iron. And I love the crinkles - can't have too many crinkles.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sew_Silly View Post
Great! Do you fix the edges in some way to prevent fraying? What about washing Fat Quarter's, Charm Packs and such? Would it be necessary to use a phosphate-free detergent or color stabilizer to prevent fading? Hang drying ok...I hope? This is a dryer free home

Great info.....Thanks all
I tried using a pinking blade along the edges of my fabric before washing but that didn't help with fraying. I tend to get more fabric than I need for any project (I want leftovers ) so losing a small amount to fray is fine. I've given up that battle - until I get a serger that is.
I also wash FQ's with the yardage. Anything smaller I hadn't been washing - but I like the idea above of using a lingerie bag. Adding that to my shopping list.
I have not washed with a color catcher on raw fabrics, but I keep one in case I use unwashed bright/dark fabrics in a quilt. I wash in cold water on gentle cycle with lights and darks seperate and (so far) no problems with bleeding.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

One of my washing issues - even on garments - is

What do I wash my black and white striped shirt with? I don't like to put it with the whites/lights - and I definitely don't want to put it wit the darks - and I hate to wash just one item at a time.

My concern when making an item with high contrast colors - I don't want the lighter color to pick up dye from any of the darker/brighter colors.

As Scissor Queen has pointed out many times - SOME fabrics do seem to be dye resistant -
and I'm pointing out that SOME fabrics seem to be dye MAGNETS.