Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing before using your fabric >

Washing before using your fabric

Washing before using your fabric

Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Newbie here! Hi

Haven't introduced myself yet, but instead have been reading for a gazillion hours since finding the forum!
This is a burning question I have. IF I were to wash my fabrics before jumping into my first piecing project, would I combine ALL the darks like blacks, blues, greens, purples, ect in one load and ALL the bright colors in another or would I have to wash one color at a time?? Seems like washing a bright yellow with a red would look like a hot mess! I keep getting conflicting answers from books, google, ect. Nothing I've read has ever really said much more than "prewash darks and brights" without clarification. Then whats more, I watched a Fons & Porter episode about fabric selection and it was mentioned that the way a fabric is made (dyed, printed, quality, etc.) is a factor in how much if at all they bleed. Ugh! So confusing.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Sew-Silly, you can wash different colors of similar value together. The reds, blacks and dark blues, etc, can go together. Just use 2 Color Catchers and do not leave the wet fabrics lay in the washer touching each other. It's into the dryer as soon as the washer stops. Wash your lights in a separate similar manner.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM

I pre-wash my fabrics. When I first started quilting I didn't. Taking it a step further, I also starch the fabrics before starting a project. I find they behave better and are easier to work with. I don't like the smell of unwashed fabric and now I can tell a difference.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sew_Silly View Post
Newbie here! Hi

Haven't introduced myself yet, but instead have been reading for a gazillion hours since finding the forum!
This is a burning question I have. IF I were to wash my fabrics before jumping into my first piecing project, would I combine ALL the darks like blacks, blues, greens, purples, ect in one load and ALL the bright colors in another or would I have to wash one color at a time?? Seems like washing a bright yellow with a red would look like a hot mess! I keep getting conflicting answers from books, google, ect. Nothing I've read has ever really said much more than "prewash darks and brights" without clarification. Then whats more, I watched a Fons & Porter episode about fabric selection and it was mentioned that the way a fabric is made (dyed, printed, quality, etc.) is a factor in how much if at all they bleed. Ugh! So confusing.

Thanks
With new fabrics, I act 'as if' each and every one will be a bleeder.

Therefore, I will only (usually - I have occasionally goofed up) put similar fabric together to soak in hot water (or the washing machine)

Dark reds with dark red, dark greens with dark greens, etc.

I might put very dark greens, dark blues, and black together - because if there is some loose dye, it may not appreciably affect/afflict the other pieces of fabric.

I go by the color of the water - if it is some color other than clear, I try to isolate the color contributor and rinse that one piece until the water is clear.

I do this because I have had some bleeds - and I didn't find it entertaining at all to try to deal with them.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by lap quilter View Post
I had to laugh at your reply...although I'm sure you were serious. No disrespect, it was just funny to read after reading the whole thread.
On the contrary, not intended to be serious at all. I have a rather dry wit. It was intended to be light...but, then, isn't there always that little bit of realism beneath the humor?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
On the contrary, not intended to be serious at all. I have a rather dry wit. It was intended to be light...but, then, isn't there always that little bit of realism beneath the humor?

I laughed at the original post, too.

But it is the truth - there are some things that some us feel we absolutely MUST do - and others feel equally strongly that it is wasted effort.

Most humor/satire/irony is based on observation and commentary on real events/conditions/behaviors.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM

I always prewash, and wash everything as fabrics will shrink at a different rate.....sewing a piece of washed/dried fabric next to a piece of never washed fabric can cause problems when the quilted item is finally washed. The unwashed will then shrink, causing pulling bad enough to tear out seams. So I always prewash and no problems!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I always prewash, and wash everything as fabrics will shrink at a different rate.....sewing a piece of washed/dried fabric next to a piece of never washed fabric can cause problems when the quilted item is finally washed. The unwashed will then shrink, causing pulling bad enough to tear out seams. So I always prewash and no problems!

Or not. I make scrap quilts and some of the fabrics have been washed and some haven't been washed. I always wash the quilt as soon as the last stitch goes in the binding. After the quilt has been washed you can't tell which fabrics were pre washed and which weren't.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Thank you for that information. I have often NOT prewashed, mostly because I don't like my fabric looking "old" before I have even sewn it! I will give this some thought and more importantly change the settings on my dryer! (On account of: I am NOT young and beautiful!)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Sew-Silly, you can wash different colors of similar value together. The reds, blacks and dark blues, etc, can go together. Just use 2 Color Catchers and do not leave the wet fabrics lay in the washer touching each other. It's into the dryer as soon as the washer stops. Wash your lights in a separate similar manner.

Great! Do you fix the edges in some way to prevent fraying? What about washing Fat Quarter's, Charm Packs and such? Would it be necessary to use a phosphate-free detergent or color stabilizer to prevent fading? Hang drying ok...I hope? This is a dryer free home

Great info.....Thanks all