View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 AM
MattieMae

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
Touch & Sews tend to be love them or leave them machines; people that leave them often call them Torch & Throws, or some variation. But just as many got one for graduation, or saved up their babysitting money for one and love them to pieces. (Sometimes literally! ) I'm not crazy about their wind-in-place bobbins-they get hinky with age, especially the bobbin winder lifter lever which tends to crack in the nylon base.........
I’m one of those who saved up their babysitting money to buy a new Touch & Sew Model 636. I made a lot of clothes with it, but hated the push-button drop in bobbin. It was “hinky” from the get go.

Beats the heck out of me why I still keep it. I open the cabinet to vacuum it out, but it hasn’t been plugged in since about 1997. I think I’ll drag it out of the corner and give her a good cleaning and some oil.

I just looked at the manual, “What’s new for tomorrow is at SINGER today!” The back cover shows pictures of a Singer television, Singer vacuum cleaner, Singer phonograph, Singer typewriter, and child’s Touch & Sew that’s battery, electricity, or hand crank. Ah, the “Made in USA “ good old days.

Good luck with your 628. I’m off to find my Zoom Spout.