Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 628 Touch and Sew Questions >

Singer 628 Touch and Sew Questions

Singer 628 Touch and Sew Questions

Old 05-05-2014, 05:58 AM

Anybody have a metal feed dog for a touch n sew 645?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 AM

I also love my T & S. Be sure to read the manual completely once or twice highlighting all of the things that it says to do that may be different from most other machines. Write those down on a cheat sheet and keep it next to you until you can do all of them by heart and always use the correct needle size with the correct fabric with the correct thread, It really does make a difference.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 PM

Good point Sunflowerzz. They're not like other machines. I can understand why there's a love/hate thing with them. They're not a very intuitive machine. You pretty much need to read the manual to understand how to operate one.
They use a 2 piece bobbin. You need to be sure the bobbin is screwed together tight. If it's even a little loose it throws the thread clearances off and you'll be fighting jams.
Rodney
Old 05-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Be very cautious about firing up your 628 at full speed before you know whether it has plastic gears or metal gears in it. I bought a 628 in a beautiful condition at a neighborhood garage sale. I plugged it in and it sewed beautifully for about 6 inches. Then all hell broke loose because the old plastic gears shattered! I found out that this is a very difficult problem to solve. Some 628's have metal gears however and if you have one of those it will not give you this problem. Try to determine in advance of running it whether you have metal or plastic. The older ones have the metal gears. I was so disappointed that this machine was ruined by just running it. Fortunately it came in a very attractive cabinet which I was able to use with a 301 by just purchasing an inexpensive "cradle" attachment for the 301 to set in. I hope you get your machine running safely for you.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:03 PM

For some reason my last post posted to two threads at once. sorry for the confusion but I am not even sure how I managed to do that!