Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 628 Touch and Sew Questions >

Singer 628 Touch and Sew Questions

Singer 628 Touch and Sew Questions

Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Hello, I'm new to the quilting board. I recently got a Singer Touch and Sew 628, and need a few pointers for getting the thread on the Bobbin. I threaded the machine without much difficulty, but the threading the bobbin? Should I take the needle off? Also, what is the proper position for the needle, should the flat part of the needle go to the back or side?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Try the 626 or 629 diagrams, which might actually all be the same for the 620 series T&S:

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm

free manual for 628 here:
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...0148fb9444.pdf

Last edited by MadCow333; 06-01-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 AM

I just joined this morning because I wanted to say I too love my Singer 628 that my grandmother bought me in 1967, just before I entered Jr. High. If you still have questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you. I love my machine and am currently searching for a new motor. It just gave out finally, after 47 years. I hope I can locate one that will last me for a while! Definitely do not overfill the bobbin, stop before it is filled, otherwise you will be taking it apart and cutting out thread that is wrapped around the base gears. Remember the top of the bobbin is broader than he base, so the thread spills over the rim.

Also, never use a bobbin that is not a Singer bobbin. I find the needle hits the top edge of the knock-off bobbins, nicking the bobbin and dulling the needle and potentially breaking the needle. A Singer bobbin saves you from this headache.

Hope you're enjoying it and I hope I find another motor for my poor baby!

Sandy in Ohio

Originally Posted by Rene9825 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the quilting board. I recently got a Singer Touch and Sew 628, and need a few pointers for getting the thread on the Bobbin. I threaded the machine without much difficulty, but the threading the bobbin? Should I take the needle off? Also, what is the proper position for the needle, should the flat part of the needle go to the back or side?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:41 PM

I have a 648 touch n sew. it has a brokem gear and is too costly to fix. I was going to part it out. what do you need?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Hi there! I just joined this forum to learn more about my old Singer 628 Touch N Sew. My mom bought it in 1967, with a cabinet, and later she wanted a portable. So the deal was I buy a portable for her and I could have the Touch N Sew.
It still works great. Since then, I've become a quilter, and about 5 years ago a friend GAVE me a Bernina 830 Record. Well, it has been my main machine, until yesterday when it started making funny noises. So, it's back to the Singer, at least until the Bernina is repaired.... So, my question is, what kind of pressure feet do you buy for the old Touch N Sews? Long shank? Short shank? or Slant shank? I don't see anything in the manual about that. Thank you.

ps I love this forum, have turned to it for advise many times.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 AM

The two Touch & Sew machines I have had (750 and 778) were slant shank machines. A quick Bing search confirms that the 628 is as well.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 AM

The Touch & Sew series all take slant shank accessories.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Selahquilter View Post
So, my question is, what kind of pressure feet do you buy for the old Touch N Sews? Long shank? Short shank? or Slant shank? I don't see anything in the manual about that. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM

OK, thank you. Now after re-reading the manual, it says you can do free motion work without a pressure foot at all... any experience with this? Or what foot works best for free motion quilting? Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Selahquilter welcome aboard. I don't think I'd try it without a presser foot. I think you need a darning or embroidery hoop if you're not going to use a foot. You can adjust for very light or no pressure on the presser foot and raise the plate above the feed dogs for FMQ on Touch & Sews. I've only experimented with FMQ once on mine and it was the regular foot. I was able to make it work enough to prove you could do it but you'll probably want to find a free motion or darning foot for your machine.
Sew-Classic.com carries them.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Slant-Shank-Feet_c10.htm
They're toward the bottom of the page.
Rodney
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Selahquilter welcome aboard. I don't think I'd try it without a presser foot. I think you need a darning or embroidery hoop if you're not going to use a foot. You can adjust for very light or no pressure on the presser foot and raise the plate above the feed dogs for FMQ on Touch & Sews. I've only experimented with FMQ once on mine and it was the regular foot. I was able to make it work enough to prove you could do it but you'll probably want to find a free motion or darning foot for your machine.
Sew-Classic.com carries them.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Slant-Shank-Feet_c10.htm
They're toward the bottom of the page.
Rodney
Rodney,
Thank you. I'll check it out. Also, will do a muslin practice sandwich first.