View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 AM
ArachNib

I just joined this morning because I wanted to say I too love my Singer 628 that my grandmother bought me in 1967, just before I entered Jr. High. If you still have questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you. I love my machine and am currently searching for a new motor. It just gave out finally, after 47 years. I hope I can locate one that will last me for a while! Definitely do not overfill the bobbin, stop before it is filled, otherwise you will be taking it apart and cutting out thread that is wrapped around the base gears. Remember the top of the bobbin is broader than he base, so the thread spills over the rim.

Also, never use a bobbin that is not a Singer bobbin. I find the needle hits the top edge of the knock-off bobbins, nicking the bobbin and dulling the needle and potentially breaking the needle. A Singer bobbin saves you from this headache.

Hope you're enjoying it and I hope I find another motor for my poor baby!

Sandy in Ohio

Originally Posted by Rene9825 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the quilting board. I recently got a Singer Touch and Sew 628, and need a few pointers for getting the thread on the Bobbin. I threaded the machine without much difficulty, but the threading the bobbin? Should I take the needle off? Also, what is the proper position for the needle, should the flat part of the needle go to the back or side?