View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 AM
J Miller

ACT II:

After letting all the glue dry it was time to prep the box for the new fabric cover.
The old fabric was glued on using some kind of asphalt adhesive. I needed to sand that down a bit so the new spray glue would stick better. Also I wanted to bevel the edges of the new bottom so it wouldn’t be so sharp and possibly wear the new fabric.

Then I brought out the fabric I was going to use, it’s a pants weight cotton polyester blend. My wife and I measured it to make sure there was enough for two bottoms and a top. I’m also going to use this to recover my SEWMOR 404 box.
Next I laid the fabric out and with my wife’s help marked it and cut it.

I measured and test fit the material so I wouldn’t have too much trimming after gluing the material on. We cut the corners out and cut out the holes needed because the latches were still on. I won’t need to do that for the HOTHER or SEWMOR cases as the latches have been removed.

Once the fabric was cut, I cut out and glued in the pieces for the middle support and the small area where the cord block is attached. Then sprayed the bottom of the box and the fabric, counted to 30 then set the box on the fabric and pressed down a bit. When I turned it over I had just enough time to smooth out the few wrinkles that were there. That stuff sticks quick.

Next I sprayed each side of the box and fabric one at a time, also spraying the top edge and inside of the box where the fabric would stick. Then carefully put each section in place smoothing it out as I went.

It didn’t take too long to do, but it was a bit tedious.
Once it was finished I was really surprised at how good it looked. Here is a couple pics of the finished repairs.

My one and only complaint is overspray. I have to find a way to keep it to a bare minimum.

The case top was thoroughly cleaned. The paint splatters was removed with a plastic scrubber and Simple Green, then the entire top was washed with Simple Green. It’s actually a blueish white color. The next step will be to use some acrylic fabric pain to touch up the damaged black parts. As it is, it looks much better now.

The box is finished, all that was left to do now is rewire the cord block and this project will be finished.