Sewing machine case repair

Old 12-01-2014, 08:06 PM
  #61  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: dallas tx.
Posts: 5,172
Default

I love to read along and watch what you're doing. You're so nice to do this, so we can all follow the steps you're taking. I'm on the outside, looking in. LOL

Last edited by barny; 12-01-2014 at 08:08 PM.
barny is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 05:24 PM
  #62  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,585
Default

Joe, you did a great job on that case! I was given (several years ago) a love seat that was covered in the ugliest orange colored fabric I've ever seen. Then, I acquired (free) new upholstery fabric to recover everything. I stripped that love seat down to the springs and bare wood. The springs were hand tied, and the wood frame was built like a brick outhouse! It took me a long time to complete the job, but I finally finished it, using the old fabric for a pattern. I even made piping for the edges of the cushions. The love seat still looks great. I even bought an air stapler to attach the fabric to the frame. That hand stapler was just too doggone hard to operate. I used my old Singer 328K to sew the upholstery. My ego may get the best of me, but I did a darned good job and I'm proud to have it in my living room! You should be very proud of the jobs you've done on these cases! They're terrific!
Jeanette
Jeanette Frantz is offline  
Old 09-22-2020, 02:01 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 682
Default

To recover the box with fabric I would use decoupage. Cut your fabric to the sizes needed. Spread decoupage on the cover and apply the fabric. Then give it another good coat of decoupage. It would be waterproof by using that as well.
gmcsewer is offline  
Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Rebaquilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sunset Coast of Michigan
Posts: 342
Default two that I'm working on right now

Hi all, I'm glad this thread was started. The first case is a 301 case where the fabric covering was very bad. It also had a layer of what looked to be cardboard on the sides. Once stripped, it showed black discolored areas from water damage. So I stripped all of the fabric and cardboard off, filled some holes, sanded, and glued. Several coats of stain helped mask the water damaged areas, and now I've put on two coats of poly. I'll be decoupaging the insides to add strength and structure. The second one is like the thread starter, the bottom had fallen apart, even the outer fabric layer didn't hold it together. it belongs to a green singer 185j workhorse. Again, I have pulled off the fabric, glued, sanded, stripped, and found water damage on the bottom. I am using a different technique on this one that I found on youtube. You get a tube of the inexpensive oil paint in the artists section at Michaels for $5 and rub it in. Then you use Japan Drier to smear it in really well and dry it quickly. They use this technique with guitars, apparently, as well. I will then use polyurethane to seal it. The green will tie into the green color of the machine and it is turning out really well. I've kept the leather top, but I may use Angelus leather paint to paint the top black or light or deep green rather than the original brown to finish it off. I'll post final pics when I'm done. Thanks for so many posts, this thread is so helpful.
Attached Thumbnails img_2291.jpg   img_2288.jpg   img_2287.jpg   img_2286.jpg  
Rebaquilts is offline  
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 AM
  #65  
Super Member
 
juliasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waterford Michigan
Posts: 6,533
Default

Wow!! I will look back on this post as a marvelous tutorial. I know I would be unable to do this kind of repair and I applauded your fine efforts. I know if I come across a case in bad shape I will send it your way. Thanks for sharing this wonderful accomplishment. Wow!!
juliasb is offline  
Old 09-28-2020, 12:07 PM
  #66  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,632
Default

Joe, it was nice to read about how you fixed the old case but was hard to see the pictures with the word photobucket right smack in the middle of the picture
amyjo is offline  
Old 10-12-2021, 07:19 AM
  #67  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 266
Default

Reported as spam
janiebakes is offline  
Old 10-13-2021, 04:25 AM
  #68  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,374
Default

not spam
\bkay
bkay is offline  
Old 10-13-2021, 04:35 AM
  #69  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 80
Default

A huge thank you J Miller for the tutorial!!! I have an old Singer in case and the case is broken up...NOW I can fix it by following your pictures! Yours looks great!
"cat"astrophy is offline  
Old 10-13-2021, 06:53 PM
  #70  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,670
Default

He makes it look do-able. Might give it a try.
quiltedsunshine is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
J Miller
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
30
08-31-2013 12:18 PM
ArizonaKAT
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
6
09-11-2012 08:00 AM
grayhare
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
3
07-22-2011 06:30 AM
frannella
Main
18
03-30-2010 07:18 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.