View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Rebaquilts

Default two that I'm working on right now

Hi all, I'm glad this thread was started. The first case is a 301 case where the fabric covering was very bad. It also had a layer of what looked to be cardboard on the sides. Once stripped, it showed black discolored areas from water damage. So I stripped all of the fabric and cardboard off, filled some holes, sanded, and glued. Several coats of stain helped mask the water damaged areas, and now I've put on two coats of poly. I'll be decoupaging the insides to add strength and structure. The second one is like the thread starter, the bottom had fallen apart, even the outer fabric layer didn't hold it together. it belongs to a green singer 185j workhorse. Again, I have pulled off the fabric, glued, sanded, stripped, and found water damage on the bottom. I am using a different technique on this one that I found on youtube. You get a tube of the inexpensive oil paint in the artists section at Michaels for $5 and rub it in. Then you use Japan Drier to smear it in really well and dry it quickly. They use this technique with guitars, apparently, as well. I will then use polyurethane to seal it. The green will tie into the green color of the machine and it is turning out really well. I've kept the leather top, but I may use Angelus leather paint to paint the top black or light or deep green rather than the original brown to finish it off. I'll post final pics when I'm done. Thanks for so many posts, this thread is so helpful.
Attached Thumbnails img_2291.jpg   img_2288.jpg   img_2287.jpg   img_2286.jpg