Sewing machine case repair

Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
can you apply decals to patch existing ones without removing the originals? in other words, do you have to start with a blank machine or can you use bits to patch missing pieces and then just shellac over the repaired parts?
I am sure you "can", but the question is would they blend. Most of their decals are cool, but lack the original details (like shading) and such, so they would probably look better completely one way or the other.

BTW, they just made available the Singer 9w decals in a resized/reformated to fit the 28/128 3/4 sized machines. I am picking up a set of those ASAP.

Steve
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

Steve, who has the Singer 9w decals available? I would like the link or contact info. thx Linda
Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM

I love 3 Act plays.
Yours was great.

Great Job Joe.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM

I just read this today Joe, what a great service you have done for all of us and for our old machines.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brunswickgirl View Post
Steve, who has the Singer 9w decals available? I would like the link or contact info. thx Linda
the Keelersales folks that were mentioned in this thread....

I do not know if it WAS me, but I asked him a couple months ago about making a version of the Celtic design for other machines, and he has certainly done that...
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM

Joe thanks for this great tutorial. If I have my way I may be acquiring a machine with a case in serious need of some help. This is exactly the info I need if I do.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by joyfulsewful View Post
Hi Joe

I googled repairing machine cases and this post came up. It is really heavy sent. I just received my beautiful Necchi BU in the mail, but alas the case is so broken. It broke in 3 different parts, worse than what this case looks like.

blueheavenfla mentioned on a post dated 9/5/12 that photos and clear explanations were given to show what exactly you did to repair the boxes, bases and even the wiring.

Is it possible to post these again? I tried to find them but I am not able to. I am also very computer illiterate.
I did see the beautiful pictures of how you restore the base of another case. That tutorial was truly amazing, not to mention the newly constructed base.

But is it possible to post the pictures and explanations again?
Without looking through each thread, here are the three threads I did on case repair.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t199606.html }
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t200795.html }
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...x-t202882.html }

Hope this helps.

Joe
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 AM

"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without!" Good for you. Wonderful work. Most everything I love came to be before I did!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM

Oh...thank you so much for that great tutorial. I was sent here by another member because I also have a couple of cases that I would like to restore.

One is for a 1955, Singer 99k that has a case which has a finish that looks like those old, 40s suitcases. It's fabric covered and then it looks like it's been varnished, or shellacked over the fabric. I bought the machine on EBay and the top of the case arrived broken straight across the lower lip, right where the hinge was nailed in. My DH repaired it with wood glue and it's pretty solid now, but there is still a seam where the fabric cracked. The fabric is also fraying near the edges by the sewing machine bed. I'm considering re shellacking the fabric. Did they use shellac? Varnish? Any tips?

The second case is for my Singer 403A. It has a slight trapezoid shape to it and it got wet a few years back. The vinyl fabric delaminated right off and the case is coming apart at the seams. I priced a replacement case and they wanted $100, plus shipping...ouch! I know I'll never find the original fabric covering, but I'd at least like to get my case top back in working order. Ideas?? Thanks!
~ Cindy
Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 AM

You are really skilled and talented!!!! Excellent tutorial and tips, thanks for sharing your know how!