View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM
DebbE

I bought the 'Billy' (from Ikea) open bookshelves that go less than a foot from the ceiling, and the long wall of my quilt room is full of these. I have 4 full bookshelves and there is a center bookshelf is about 14" wide with the same height as the rest of the shelving. The center one holds all my books. Magazine holders (metals ones, again from Ikea) hold all my magazines and are on the bottom shelves due to the weight. My fabrics are folded to fit on these shelves, which are around 11" deep. I have fabric sorted by colors: red, blue, green, yellow, rust/oranges, black, purple, and by types: metallics, batiks, Australian, Christmas, baby/kids, animals, and 'misc' (sky, oddities, bricks, rocks, etc). Works quite well and the shelving is quite sturdy enough to hold all the fabric on it. Am slowly cutting up the scraps and smaller amounts into the Bonnie Hunter system, and wow, do I have quite a pile in each size now. Those will eventually go into the plastic containers with labels. I'm not going to buy any more fabric until I use up quite a bit of what I already have!