View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Now a lot of times I buy 5 1-yard cuts for the book "It Takes 5" meaning it takes 5 one yard cuts of fabric to make a quilt. That way I know I have enough to make a quilt. I hate to buy just one piece of fabric with nothing to go with it. And if I buy something to go with it, how much do I need to make a quilt and how many different fabrics? That's why I do the "It Takes 5" now. I have lots of design lines. All fat quarters from a certain line I love and then 3-4 yards of a few of the fabrics I want for borders. I have jelly rolls with yardage to go with it, too. Don't want just a jelly roll...have to have fabric for borders. I have charms and layer cakes with yardage, too. And then I have lots of fat quarters by themselves. Grouped into colors and grouped together, like, shabby 60's fabric, stars, plaids. And I have all my leftovers from all my quilts. Plus I have yards of lots of fabrics I couldn't live without that don't go with anything (before I realized I needed to buy fabric to go with it). But I have lots and lots of fabric. Three dressers plum full. One bookcase full. Storage unit full. 8 huge rubbermaid tubs full. And then there's lots of plastic bins full of fabric and linen baskets full of fabric. And I have old doctor bags plum full of scraps. That's a perfect place to keep scraps. But, I also have lots of quilt kits in there amongst all the fabric. I was a kitaholic. And a BOMaholic. And I didn't do a lot of the BOMs, so I have lots of 12 BOMs laying around in their bags, waiting to be put together. So, I don't have thousands of yards of fabric, by any means. And some of my fabric is looking dated. So, on my blog, I've been giving away my older fabric lines worth $129. Just because I know I'll never use them and people request them, so I give them away. So, I don't feel so guilty about having so much if I give alot away. I gave 14 quilt kits away to a gal here on the quilting board last year and it really helped me feel better about controlling my stash. I need to have another giveaway.