Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about your stash

Questions about your stash

I am curious about how you all collect and add to your stash.

What does it consist of? Is it leftover fabric from a project, or an impulse buy? Do you see a bolt of fabric and buy X amount of yards with nothing in mind right now?

How do you know how much to buy? I just started quilting and keep reading about everyone's stash, and I want one!

just picking up fabric here and there. if i see something i like i usually get
    at least 2 or 3 yards if the price is right. i think i collect fabric lol

Same as Joset just said, joyce j

Blog Entries
    1. Leftovers from prior quilts - cut into usable pieces ie 2.5 squares, 2.5 strips, charms, other sizes too
    2. See it, love, it, gotta own it purchases (minimum 2 yards)
    3. Trades with other quilters at guild
    4. Fabric planned for specific patterns
    5. An inherited stash from my dearest friend who died of brain cancer

There's over 360 yards on bolts plus bins of precuts and plastic storage boxes of fabric put togeher for spcific patterns. I'll probably never shop again. (boo hoo......no more shopping thereapy!)
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I rarely purchase yardage. Usually I hit the remnant bins at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or Hancocks. I have quite a few pieces that I do end up using either on a quilt or for doll clothes for the granddaughter. I have found a few bigger pieces at flea markets or garage sales, but that is very very rare.

Blog Entries
    What stash LOL I have a few leftovers and a very small collection of batiks for a applique quilt I am doing and that is about it. I drool over some of the stash pictures I see, I would have to win the lottery to be able to afford so much fabric at the prices we pay here in Australia
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

The secret to a good usable stash is how much to buy of each type of fabric. The largest size quilt I make is queen size so I always keep that in mind.

Most queen size quilt patterns call for 3 to 4 yards for a background fabric if it has a background. 4 to 7 yards is a good amount for the focal fabric since you'll probably want to use it for borders too. And then you'll need supporting players, good tone on tones, small patterns and geometrics and you'll usually use two or three in a quilt so 2 yards is a good amount for them.

I've started buying two extra yards of the focal fabrics so I have enough to make pillow cases too.

Then the quiltovers get saved and are the starters for great scrap quilts.

Friends had given me fabric they didn't want any more. I would have to say a lot of my stash is left over from other projects, if I see something I like a lot, I get a yard or two depending on cashflow, I do the Shop Hop to find the bunnies & winnings help to give me back some of what I've used, I shop sales & buy stash builder boxes on E-bay. My DH got me two boxes of 50 fat quarters & we get the ones for $1.00 each at Big Lots.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I've only been coupling for a couple of years so my stash is fabric left from something I've already made. However, I do have fabric that is "in waiting" for a future project.

Blog Entries
    I usually don't have a pattern in mind when purchasing fabric. I usually buy on impulse and get anywhere from 1 1/2 yds to 3 yds. Wish I could pick the pattern first. One of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started quilting was buying nothing but solids for the backing. Needless to say I have a lot of solid Kona cotton that's not being used.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Banned
    I have huge fabric collection - several thousand yards of prints, many on bolts; hundreds of yards of solids which I use alot; a vast collection of FQs, some 2 1/2" rolls and hundreds of nickle squares + lots of leftover pieces from quilts I've made and I've been quilting since the 70s.
    I love fabric - how much I buy depends on how much I love it and how much it costs.
    The only FQs I buy now are novelty fabrics which I cut into various sized squares.
    Last edited by gollytwo; 08-17-2012 at 05:10 AM.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Im just a shopper.. I find reasons, more like excuses to run to the Fabric store...

I go on shop hops.. Usually get 25% off if cut off the bolt
    But im not one to buy just one yard.. Im more of 'im gonna buy the rest of the bolt' kinda gal.. BUT its gotta be a great price too.. I wont splurge over $6/yard and if i take the bolt usually the LQS will give an addt'l 20% for making more room for them.. lol..
    I got a few older/vintage boxes from a wonderful lady ( Luise- quilting in heaven with my MIL).. Great neat old fabrics.. i use them for backing as its all yards and yards...
    I go to auctions and find feedsacks (real 1930s are my absolute favorite) ...
    Garage sales too, but not necessarily thrift stores-never had any luck finding useable CLEAN fabs- but i have found a few quilts that i gave a good home to..
    My Dad is notorious for finding 'great finds' at garage sales so every time i go visit i come home with another tub of fabrics - THANKS DAD, You are the greatest!!!

In time you you will have a stash, be patient, check out the LQS sales section, Craigslist, get put on Fabric shops mailers for specials and coupons and upcoming events like sidewalk sales...

I always have 3/4 patterns chosen for my next quilts. I check several sights when they have sales. I pick up fabrics for these quilts. Which ever quilt I pick up enough fabrics for is the quilt I make. Buying on sale, and buying only what I need for a quilt, keeps me from just buying fabrics because I like it. I buy 1/2-1 yard pieces.Depending if its a fabric to piece or a fabric for borders. Or backing fabrics. By having patterns already chosen, I know what I need in fabric.
    When I have a lot of leftover fabric from these quilts, then I make a scrappy quilt from my scrap box.

Not a stash builder here. I buy for projects only for the following reasons...1) no place to store a stash; 2) not into 'scrappy'. That said, I do 'over buy' a bit when purchasing. If the pattern calls for say 1.5 yds, I'll get 2, etc. This gives me enough for mistakes and a bit left over. Then, when doing another project and I only need a small amount of something, I have a clue as to if I need to purchase that particular piece. I don't cut leftovers. I leave them in the state they end up when I'm done. I will even keep scraps - both large and small, so if I want to figure out something or am doing a pp'ing block, I have things to work with.

I once in a while buy a couple of yards. Mostly 4-5- or 6 yard pieces. I have bought 10 yards of white,white on white, off white on off white. I worry about having something to go with it later. I buy what I like. I have fabric from leftover quilts and made scrappy quilts this year, 7 so far. I have tons of fabrics.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Where do I get my stash?

I work at a LQS... 'nuf said!

Blog Entries
    Only what's left over and I do not pre-cut it. Each month I'll buy 5 FQ's at my local bargain store for $1.99 ea. for my Dear Jane. I love to buy new for each big project as so many new fabrics have come out since I last shopped.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    All of the above. Impulse buys of fabric I can't resist and know all never see again(usually 2 yd/m). Leftovers from other projects. Fabric bought and waiting to finish up UFOs.

There's over 360 yards on bolts plus bins of precuts and plastic storage boxes of fabric put togeher for spcific patterns. I'll probably never shop again. (boo hoo......no more shopping thereapy!)[/QUOTE]

You'll just have to make shopping from your stash your therapy. :0)

What does it consist of? Is it leftover fabric from a project, or an impulse buy? Do you see a bolt of fabric and buy X amount of yards with nothing in mind right now?

yes, to all the above. always remember that "stash happens!"
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is filled with fabric. If I were to do it over again I would not buy that much. The money I have tied up in fabic could be spend on specific fabric I want for special quilts. I would maybe buy 1/2 yard too much and save scraps for scrap quilts.

For a long time, I'd often buy a couple of yards of fabrics that I really liked, with no specific purpose in mind. When I made quilts, whatever was left got tossed in a basket. However, I love scrappy quilts (and fortunately for me, they're popular right now). That meant that either my quilts had more of a given fabric than I wanted, or it got used in many projects before it was gone.

It's all good - now I have a decent sized, but manageable, stash. New purchases are much more likely to be in the 1/2 yard range, unless it's a great neutral. Always on the lookout for those, I'll go with a 1 - 1 1/2 yards of them.

Blog Entries
    I am a "Fabriholic" .. I have collected from all sorts of places. Fabric stores, antique shops, estate sales, garage sales, Joanns, Hobby Lobby, church sales, Goodwill and Thrift stores. Friends learn you love fabric and they add to the STASH. I have had a lot of classes dealing with textiles and colors which does not help my addiction at all..it just feeds it!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Be careful. It's very easy to get into the stash accumulating mode, then one day you walk into your sewing area and you can't find a place to cut because you have piles and piles of fabric. Add to your stash slowly. There is no law that says you have to have a huge stash.

Think about what you like to make, what you like to look at, the colors that you enjoy and the designs. Factor in your budget, space available and time you plan to dedicate to this hobby also.

I would hit the red tag sale at JoAnns and pick up everything when it was super cheap with the idea that I'd eventually figure out what to do with it or find something to match it. I really wish I hadn't. I finally went through my stash and sorted everything out that I just didn't like, what was I thinking when I bought this and gave it to my local QFK group and let them try to figure out what to do with it.

How did I accumulate? super sales-like $1-2 a yard, yard sales, then people learn you sew and give you their grandmother's stash. Since I make quilts for kids and QOV's, if it will be backing fabric I get 5 yards, if it's just cool I go for 1-2 yds.

When I started making 3-5 charity quilt tops a month, I got more donations, plus the group I sew with receives a lot of donations that are shared around.

You basically want a usable stash, one that is fun to play with but not so bad that you are tripping over things or can't find what you are looking. I have a friend who has a double closet and 2 regular closets full of fabric plus what ever else she's stashed up in the attic. She's always saying, "if I could just find it...I know I had some somewhere."

Here in the Twin Cities we have the unbelievable temptation of SRHarris, which is a fabric warehouse that sells everything at 50% discount. Within the past couple of months, they've increased their stock of designer quilting cottons by at least a thousand bolts and I'm there every week, since a new semi-load comes in weekly. It's a cut-your-own place, so I buy quarter-yards up to 4 yards at a time. The larger pieces will be used for backings, the 1yd pieces will be mostly used for bindings, and the smaller cuts used for focal squares or charms. In the past month I've spent over $100 on my stash, and that's after the half off.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast