Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about your stash >

Questions about your stash

Questions about your stash

Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 AM

I, too am a fabricholic. I have been "collecting" my stash for 37 years. I sewed for the kids and made curtains and pillows and then kids outgrew wanting homemade things. For several years I had a second job working at a fabric store and needless to say I probably spent more than I made. I would tell people that I had the full time job for paying bills and supporting the kids and the second job for supporting my habit (buying fabric) and I was definitely in the right place to do that. I still found a little time to sew but I bought so much more than I sewed. Now that I only work 1 job I am trying to organize all my sewing things and also the mountain of things my mother had and I can say it is more than a little overwhelming. I will never have to buy fabric again and that makes me a little sad.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have lots of leftovers. Plus fat quarters galore. I have fabric lines that include jelly rolls, layer cakes and charms. I also own quite a few quilt kits. I have yards of different fabrics I like. I have 1/2 yard cuts of solids of many colors. And i have yards of white and black. I have batiks now, lots of Asian print, and just lots of fabric. Collected since 1992.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 AM

I have such a collection?! Been sewing for 40+ yrs. Have gotten an awful lot at very low sales, garage sales & thrift stores. Best finds have been at estate sales. But have sworn off buying any more, prices are ridiciliously to high. Am going to use out of my stash.....
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Personally, I think the fabric bunnies are busy multiplying in my closets and drawers....I'm just sayin'.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM

Love this quilt!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 AM

good thing about having so many solids in my stash is that they are becomin very popular, as use for negative space in modern quilts, or i just did a baby quilt with solids that turned out so sweet and vintage looking! so they are always a great buy
Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 AM

one more note on fabric stashes i also love collections of precuts then buy a few different yardages for borders and backgrounds, you get a good variety and they match! i have been quilting for about nine months ( did a few smaller things and wool applique pieces and embroidery for a few years) and after making my first quilt and buying only a little extra than the pattern called for, i caught a very known bug!!! i started buying fabric like they were gonna quit making it!!! i have two very large bookcases full of fabric, and of all that fabric, there is only 3 designated projects (fabric bought for that specific pattern!!!!) The rest are impulse buys and ones i fell in love with, but i do believe my layer cakes get together and make baby charm packs, because i know i didnt buy that much.....I couldn't had!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM

I have been fortunate to find several Estate sales over the past few months where the owners were quilters/sewers/crafty and I have amassed an amazing amount of fabrics from those sales at ridiculously low prices. Of course, at some I have had to rummage through boxes in basements and drove straight to the laundermat before bringing those fabrics into my home. But the effort has been so worth it! I've purchased Moda, Thimbleberrie and other gorgeous, high quality fabrics at pennies on the dollar!! My fabric storage shelves resemble that of a small store!! I love to go 'shopping' now in my quilting room!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Now a lot of times I buy 5 1-yard cuts for the book "It Takes 5" meaning it takes 5 one yard cuts of fabric to make a quilt. That way I know I have enough to make a quilt. I hate to buy just one piece of fabric with nothing to go with it. And if I buy something to go with it, how much do I need to make a quilt and how many different fabrics? That's why I do the "It Takes 5" now. I have lots of design lines. All fat quarters from a certain line I love and then 3-4 yards of a few of the fabrics I want for borders. I have jelly rolls with yardage to go with it, too. Don't want just a jelly roll...have to have fabric for borders. I have charms and layer cakes with yardage, too. And then I have lots of fat quarters by themselves. Grouped into colors and grouped together, like, shabby 60's fabric, stars, plaids. And I have all my leftovers from all my quilts. Plus I have yards of lots of fabrics I couldn't live without that don't go with anything (before I realized I needed to buy fabric to go with it). But I have lots and lots of fabric. Three dressers plum full. One bookcase full. Storage unit full. 8 huge rubbermaid tubs full. And then there's lots of plastic bins full of fabric and linen baskets full of fabric. And I have old doctor bags plum full of scraps. That's a perfect place to keep scraps. But, I also have lots of quilt kits in there amongst all the fabric. I was a kitaholic. And a BOMaholic. And I didn't do a lot of the BOMs, so I have lots of 12 BOMs laying around in their bags, waiting to be put together. So, I don't have thousands of yards of fabric, by any means. And some of my fabric is looking dated. So, on my blog, I've been giving away my older fabric lines worth $129. Just because I know I'll never use them and people request them, so I give them away. So, I don't feel so guilty about having so much if I give alot away. I gave 14 quilt kits away to a gal here on the quilting board last year and it really helped me feel better about controlling my stash. I need to have another giveaway.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 AM

I fall in love and buy or buy for color. I can never get enough reds (so many shades) green and blues. Price usually motivates my color buying.2-5 yards if good price.