Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about your stash >

Questions about your stash

Questions about your stash

Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM

When I learned to quilt the instructor said to buy 2 or 3 yards, back then I was only making lap quilts so that was sufficient yardage. Now I like to make much larger quilts and if I see a good buy on background fabrics (creams, light beige, etc.) I am more likely to buy 4 or 5 yards. I also buy per project but right now I'm concentrating on using my stash and the only fabrics I've bought in many months is a several yards of creamy Moda muslin that is 120" wide and cost under $8 per yd. A one yd cut of it gives me 3 yds of fabric for under $8 - can't beat that. I also picked up some great blue fabric that reads like a solid to use for scrappy quilt sashing. This was also way below regular price.

When I began to quilt I fell in love with a scrappy quilt in cream and blues but thought I would never have a stash big enough to make a really scrappy quilt. Little did I know that between buying remanets and leftovers from projects I soon would have almost too many different blue and cream fabrics to make the quilt I fell in love with plus tons more for future quilts.

So you see everyone has a different way to build their stash and boy do we work hard at it, LOL!.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 08-19-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM

My stash just seemed to grow, as each time I finished a quilt, I had scraps. I collect the 1/2 yard minimum cuts from fabric that is on sale. I usually get them for half price. I buy from the sale table in our local fabric shop and look for the fabric that I know was $10 dollars plus a yard. Fabric shopping this way is an addiction for me. I don't get carried away, just pick a few cuts and take them home. I have lots of small half yard cuts for the scrappy quilts, then if I don't have the borders I go get them when I need them. If the sale is a good one, I go for the background pieces in a future pattern that I am interested in making. After I have all the fabric and a quilt in mind, I kit it up, cutting the pieces and the borders, so I don't use the fabric for something else, or cut into it leaving me short. Kits are great for those retreats. I just grab one and go. As long as you are making quilts, your stash is going to grow. In some cases it can even get way out of hand. My rule is to shop the sales and think ahead, it saves me a lot. I don't usually get fabric unless I have a kind of idea of how I will use it.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM

I pretty much do everything listed. I impulse buy, buy yardage, buy fat quarters, buy for projects I don't make. I also have tons of pieces smaller than a fat quarter but still pretty good sized. I have been trying to complete several projects lately from my stash. I made 4 baby quilts totally from my stash.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

I'm a newbie and I get just a bit extra for my grand babies dresses.May turn into a stash Who knows...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:53 PM

Well part of it is from projects I don't throw anything away. Some I buy especially for a project/quilt and the rest is when I see something I really like I buy a yd or maybe two and not a special plan for them when I buy but hopefully I'll live long enough to do use all the fabric I've bought and keep on buying. I am putting me on Hold now except for the backorder fabric I'm waiting for then that's it for a while I must stop myself for a while and finish up some of the things I have here. Good luck getting your stash it just takes a little time to get one. Sue
Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 PM

I am like everyone else I buy from anywhere that has fabric, garage sales, gifts to me, etc. This past weekend I purchased a tub of fabric plus several pieces of fleece all for $50. My sister from the same garage sale also purchased a tub of fabric. Then today a lady called me, their quilting club had a fabric swap and had a big bag left for free, since I do charity projects she gave it to me. All was nice fabric. This week I am going to cut 6.5" squares for wounded warrior quilts.
Jothesewer
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 PM

It is gathered from here, there and everywhere.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM

I am a fabricholic, I buy things that I like not knowing what it will be used for in the future. I rarely buy a kit. I always like to make a pattern mine. I go on bus trips with our guild and can't resist all the fabric. I cut my leftovers up when I finish a project, and they are cut in squares or strips depending on how much is left. They are then put in plastic shoe boxes labeled with size. I have a lady in our guild who gives me scraps that she doesn't want to mess with and I press cut and store them until needed. Honestly, I have way too much fabric. I piece, cut or quilt about 6 hours a day so I use a lot of fabric. I've been quilting since about 2000 or earlier so I purchased it over a period of time. I love to go to garage sales where quilters are de-statching.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 AM

Um. Yes. To all of it.

I've just come back from Birmingham, so have added to my stash quite a bit over the past couple of days!!

I too started with fat quarters, but quickly came to the conclusion that my taste was too eclectic for me to get ones that match well enough for a quilt (I'm not talking 'matchy-matchy', more like 'non-clashy-clashy') so now I tend to go for 1 metre cuts as a minimum.

I work at an LQS, so temptation is all around me but I'm going to have to be good for a while and resist. Perhaps concentrate on the quilt-making rather than the acquisition bit... LOL!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:03 AM

If I'm on a shop hop and don't particularly love anything, I'll at least buy a 1/4 yard. If I like it, I'll buy 1-2 yards. If I LOVE it, I'll buy the rest of or the whole bolt. Once I bought 16 yards! Absolutely loved the fabric!!!

If I have any leftovers (which I always do), I'll cut them into 2 1/2" strips and eventually use them in something. Whether it be a scrappy log cabin or whatever I make.