Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about your stash >

Questions about your stash

Questions about your stash

Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 AM

My stash is mostly fabric that "was just too pretty" to leave in the store. I usually buy a yard, figuring that will be enough to be the focus or interesting accent print in most quilts that I make. Some is color that I was sure would match and didn't and others are quilts that just didn't get made. I do impulse buy when I see beautiful colors or print combinations. Much of it is there because when I get a light-bulb-idea, I charge off to the LQS and don't always "shop my stash" first. There is also a lot of leftover fabric.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 AM

At my stage in life, (I do have a large stash) I usually only purchase something on sale or if I need a fabric to fill in what I do not have, then I buy. I do sometimes buy a full bolt of black or white or cream as I use lots of these neutrals. The white and cream I dye to the color I want.
Buy what you can, when I was building a stash, I bought 1yard of fabric I liked, accents I bought fat quarters. If I thought it would be borders, 3 yards. For backings I would buy on sale. (still do that)
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Wow!

What a response! You all are terrific in answering questions, I never dreamed I'd get so many answers and tips from everyone. I know it will take time, so I will be patient and quietly collect my bits and pieces of fabric. I'm going through a divorce and my soon-to-be ex in MD got rid of all the fabric I had accumulated from various sewing projects (not quilting fabric), so I'm starting from a clean slate. It's probably a good thing, because now I can buy some nice new pretty fabric and have a ball!

Thank you for all your input.

Renate
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM

my stash is well over 65 years old as about 1/3 of the fabric is my mothers....and then mine.....I really, really added to it when I worked for Joanns, and used to stand for hours and hours and measure and wrap remnants...I had the stack for the store and my stack to buy and take home.....anything under a yard is a remnant......I would pick up a lot of tone on tone, soilids, and small prints or dots..... After I retired I have used almost (but not quite) only my stash.... for all my quilts.....I know beyond a shadow of a doubt my stash will outlive me .....I have put into my will what to do with my sewing machine and my fabrics.....all to the local Quilt Guild for them to dispense as they feel the need and use......
When I see a new fabric that catches my fancy I will buy only a 1/2 Yard.....unless it is something really great then a yard.......and only more than that if the price is just too good to pass up, especially in todays market......
Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 AM

I go to yard sales too and thrifty stores. Just went to one Friday and got over 10 yds of fabric for $10. Pieces from 3ys to 1/2... Lady cleaning out her stash. Nice stuff too. smile
Old 08-19-2012, 11:49 AM

I have only been quilting for about 2 yrs but I mostly buy fabric for the specific quilt I am doing. However, I usually wind up with leftover's so I guess I am building a stash. Now and then I see a fabric that speaks to me, so I will usually buy a yard of it in anticipation of using it for a future project. Right now every piece of fabric I have fits nicely in a plastic storage bin, with room to spare.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Some of my fabric was bought for a particular purpose, but most of it is bought just because I like it and/or it was on sale and I will use it in a quilt some day. A quilter can never have too much fabric.LOL
Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by captlynhall View Post
I have only been quilting for about 2 yrs but I mostly buy fabric for the specific quilt I am doing. However, I usually wind up with leftover's so I guess I am building a stash. Now and then I see a fabric that speaks to me, so I will usually buy a yard of it in anticipation of using it for a future project. Right now every piece of fabric I have fits nicely in a plastic storage bin, with room to spare.
WOW..I remember the day that my stash fit in a plastic tote!! It seems overnight it grew..Now it fills a tall bureau and a hope chest, with the overflow in totes..Hopefully I will live long enough to use at least half of it...of course this doesn't stop me from buying more!!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM

I Love garage sales!!! It still amazes me how people almost give away fabric they paid a fortune for at garage sales! I also shop remnant bins, buying only what I'm sure I can use or that I think will go with another piece I may already have. When I do buy from a fabric store I rarely buy less than 4 yards at a time and it has to be on sale and something I really like in colors I like. I have trouble working on something when I don't like the colors! I think I now have enough fabric to get me though the next couple of winters. lol Oh, maybe not... ; )
Old 08-19-2012, 02:35 PM

I can't resist a good sale!! When I saw a pretty fabric....and it was on sale...just has to get it. I also tend to "round up" when I'm getting fabric for a project. ie.. pattern calls for 1 1/2 yds. I'd buy 2 yds. That allows for those "oh oh" moments! If I manage to not have one of those then the extra goes into the stash. I've learned to be careful of impulse buys....I have fabric that I'm shocked I bought! I'm hoping it was a REALLY good sale!! LOL!! But I've found over the years that even ugly mugly fabrics can find a home in a quilt!!
Have fun!
Gail