Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about your stash >

Questions about your stash

Questions about your stash

Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Thank you Suzan. That quilt is the largest one I've made yet. I put the border on today. I was hoping to machine quilt it using Ken Lund's quilting frame but I need longer poles to do that. So I hung it up in my studio closet until I am ready to tackle it. I am more than pleased with how it looks too.

I was collecting fq's when they were a dollar or two each. That was years ago. I really don't buy fq's anymore. Now I prefer to buy fabric by the yard. Quilting has become a more expensive hobby then it was years ago when I started. But I figure I'd be spending my money on something so I really enjoy spending it on my Quilting projects.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM

all of the above, I see fabric I must have just because I like it no practical use in mind so I buy it. plus the home ec teacher at my school gladly gives me all the scraps (half yard fabrics with a shape cut out in the middle) discarded by the kids.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM

All of the the above! and I shop the 'Goodie stores' ie the Goodwill ete.. I will buy FatQ's of fabrics I like because I'm on a small buget, I have a Large Stach! LoL don't tell I'm an Addict!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Left overs from projects, small scraps for paper piecing, anything my friends are about to throw away - they let me see the items first-, second hand clothing etc.
I buy small amounts when I just cannot resist the color or the pattern of the fabric, with no pattern in mind usually- I am a color addict I quess.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
What does it consist of? Is it leftover fabric from a project, or an impulse buy? Do you see a bolt of fabric and buy X amount of yards with nothing in mind right now?

How do you know how much to buy?
The easy answer is YES. Some of my stash is leftovers and some is fabric I bought for a specific project in mind (aka a UFO in the making) and other pieces just sort of spoke to me. Now I have so much that I ONLY buy when I need to add for a project in the works OR large backing pieces OR it's on sale and I just love it. (Yes, fabric can be addictive).

How much depends on the wallet and my mood and if I go shopping hungry. If it functions for a backing I buy 5-7 yards, If I think I may use it in a border 2-3 yards, otherwise 1 yard.

Be careful. Stash sort of happens and it can easily be overwhelming.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trene View Post
I inhierited my stash from my Mom; three years later I still haven't organized it all yet. I have added to it, however!
Whoa... hang on... organize? You mean I'm supposed to organize the 4795 billions yards of fabric I have strewn hither & yon? Oh my... LOL!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
The easy answer is YES. Some of my stash is leftovers and some is fabric I bought for a specific project in mind (aka a UFO in the making) and other pieces just sort of spoke to me. Now I have so much that I ONLY buy when I need to add for a project in the works OR large backing pieces OR it's on sale and I just love it. (Yes, fabric can be addictive).

How much depends on the wallet and my mood and if I go shopping hungry. If it functions for a backing I buy 5-7 yards, If I think I may use it in a border 2-3 yards, otherwise 1 yard.

Be careful. Stash sort of happens and it can easily be overwhelming.
I love it! "Stash sort of happens". Ain't dat da troof? Like Topsy, it growed!!! LOL!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM

My favorite is to purchase fabric by collection. Sometimes I have a project in mind but often I just love the fabric. I will buy maybe 2 yards of the focus fabric and lessor amounts of coordinates. I'm definitely a fabricaholic - it is my hobby / passion / borderline obsession.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=MadQuilter;5449444 . . .
Be careful. Stash sort of happens and it can easily be overwhelming.[/QUOTE]

Stash also needs to be kept somewhere -
Old 08-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
I am curious about how you all collect and add to your stash.

What does it consist of? Is it leftover fabric from a project, or an impulse buy? Do you see a bolt of fabric and buy X amount of yards with nothing in mind right now?

How do you know how much to buy? I just started quilting and keep reading about everyone's stash, and I want one!
When I first started learning to quilt I saw an episode of "Quilt In A Day" and EB said that if you just loved a fabric, buy 3 yards of it because that should be enough for most projects. I do that when I find a fabric that just speaks to me. Also, whenever I'm in a fabric store, I shoot off to the remnants bin and take all off the cotton remnants that I like. Those remnants are wonderful for scrap quilts, small projects and appliques. The rest is just leftover pieces from other projects.