View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM
angiecub

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
OK, I'm the conservative one here. Meandering and any other free motion quilting was way beyond me when I made my first quilt. For my first quilt, I just did a giant cross hatch type of thing. Just an X in each block. For the borders, I just did a couple of lines in them and added a diamond on top of that every so often.

Tying is also a viable option. Tied quilts have lasted for years. Check out all the videos and see what you want to attempt. Practice whatever it is on some smaller pieces to see if you can do it. Remember it is always harder on a big quilt than on the practice pieces.

Most importantly be proud of your quilt however it ends up being finished. Learn what you can and start on the next one!
I agree with Lisa--and look at all of us Illinois girls! I would suggest you keep it simple until you get comfortable with the process. I've been machine piecing/quilting for a couple of years and just started venturing beyond stitch in the ditch, and so far, only have the nerve to try it on potholders. Good luck.