Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First Quilt Top - Need advice >

First Quilt Top - Need advice

First Quilt Top - Need advice

Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Your colors go well together. For a first time quilting I would try stitch in the ditch ( and don't worry if you stray off the lines, we all do) or do a diagonal. I roll the quilt on each side and start in the center and work my way out. Have fun and enjoy learning as you go.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Cute! Way to go!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Absolutely wonderful, great job and thank you for sharing.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM

I totally agree with Lisa. It's very sound advice. And exactally what I started with. (Just my opinion.)

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
OK, I'm the conservative one here. Meandering and any other free motion quilting was way beyond me when I made my first quilt. For my first quilt, I just did a giant cross hatch type of thing. Just an X in each block. For the borders, I just did a couple of lines in them and added a diamond on top of that every so often.

Tying is also a viable option. Tied quilts have lasted for years. Check out all the videos and see what you want to attempt. Practice whatever it is on some smaller pieces to see if you can do it. Remember it is always harder on a big quilt than on the practice pieces.

Most importantly be proud of your quilt however it ends up being finished. Learn what you can and start on the next one!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:20 PM

I'd keep your first quilt easier to do -- for batting, use a layer or two of flannel or a lightweight fleece, so you don't have to quilt every couple of inches. The quilt will hold up better that way, even with lots of washing, etc. Doing ties is perfectly ok, especially if you used embroidery thread...tie square knots, which you can google to get directions for as its really easy. You could even choose some interesting buttons to put in each corner of the the blocks and use embroidery thread to thread through and tie your knots on top of each button. But if you're going to give this quilt to a child or baby, the ties must be VERY short (1/2" or less), and no buttons, for safety reasons. You could do stitch in the ditch or even echo quilting (1/4" away from each seam) or big "X"s in each block. Do a small 'test' quilt (with smaller blocks, maybe 10-12" big) first to see if you find you hate something right after starting it, rather than learning on your quilt. Have fun with it as its a fun quilt -- you did a great job!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

However you finished it will be nice! I love your colors! Awesome!