Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Quilt Top - Need advice

First Quilt Top - Need advice

I just finished piecing my very first quilt top. I used pre-cut squares (don't know the term...fat quarters maybe?) and put 2 borders on it. I'm self taught via You Tube and a Quilting 101 book...I'm looking for advice on how I should quilt the top. Keep in mind...I've never done this before. I don't have a walking foot for my machine either. I've seen "tied" quilts...but not sure about it. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    pretty fabrics

Blog Entries
    Check out stitch in the ditch and free motion on you tube and see if you feel comfortable with either.

I would suggest some thing with some curves....
    practice on a scrap sandwhich
    hope this helps

Nice

Nice color choices. I am fairly new to quilting just a little over two years. With my first quilt tops I used large serpentine lines and as I practiced more got a little more adventurous. A walking foot would make it easier it helps to keep the quilt top, batting, and fabric back moving as one. But you can just use lots of safety pins to keep things smooth, drop the feed dogs on your machine and move the fabric manually. Squiggles are fairly easy, start in the middle and keep smoothing as you go. Practice first with scraps pinned with scrap batting in the center, sort of a mini quilt. This way you can see how your machine moves and it gives you a chance to experiment with style and stitch length. Hope this helps. I'm self taught as well, keep up the good work.

A medium meander might work very nicely. I quilted a lot of quilts on my domestic machine with just a hopping/free motion foot. Worked just fine for me.
    No matter how tough life is, it sure beats the alternative.

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...26548a24e6.png

I do a large meander and I love it, nothing fancy, like a large stipple.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OK, I'm the conservative one here. Meandering and any other free motion quilting was way beyond me when I made my first quilt. For my first quilt, I just did a giant cross hatch type of thing. Just an X in each block. For the borders, I just did a couple of lines in them and added a diamond on top of that every so often.

Tying is also a viable option. Tied quilts have lasted for years. Check out all the videos and see what you want to attempt. Practice whatever it is on some smaller pieces to see if you can do it. Remember it is always harder on a big quilt than on the practice pieces.

Most importantly be proud of your quilt however it ends up being finished. Learn what you can and start on the next one!

I have a tied quilt that is at least 35 years old, and I tied my first quilt and it is still going strong 20 years later with LOTS of abuse and washing lol I would tie it with black & Purple Ribbon

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    OK, I'm the conservative one here. Meandering and any other free motion quilting was way beyond me when I made my first quilt. For my first quilt, I just did a giant cross hatch type of thing. Just an X in each block. For the borders, I just did a couple of lines in them and added a diamond on top of that every so often.

Tying is also a viable option. Tied quilts have lasted for years. Check out all the videos and see what you want to attempt. Practice whatever it is on some smaller pieces to see if you can do it. Remember it is always harder on a big quilt than on the practice pieces.

Most importantly be proud of your quilt however it ends up being finished. Learn what you can and start on the next one!
    I agree with Lisa--and look at all of us Illinois girls! I would suggest you keep it simple until you get comfortable with the process. I've been machine piecing/quilting for a couple of years and just started venturing beyond stitch in the ditch, and so far, only have the nerve to try it on potholders. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty ! Love your colors. I agree about quilting in the ditch but I am still learning also. and if you wanted to put a 2" square turned to look like a diamond in the borders.
    Have a Blessed & Prosperous Day !
    Chris.

Blog Entries
    Go from diagonal corner to the next diagonal block . You may wan to make the center then go back and it make an x design. Easy for your first quilt. Be sue wot pin every 4 inches. Good luck,love the colors and borders.
    The best kind of sleep from Heaven above...
    is under a quilt homemade with LOVE!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Stitch in the ditch or X (diagonal lines) the quilt would be the easiest for you..

How you are learning to quilt reminds me of myself about 15 years ago. I learned to quilt through a book called Teaching Yourself to Quilt and a great show called Simply Quilts.

my choice would be SITD with the walking foot or cross hatch, either way you need a walking foot or darning foot for FMQ. If not able to purchase you would have to tie, but if you enjoy quilting you might as well invest in a good walking foot and darning foot. I would not FMQ my first one either. I did SITD on my first one and it came out okay

Stitching in the ditch can be tricky too. When I started, I used a sort of zig-zag. . . . not the kind that was one stitch to the left and one to the right, but three to the left and three to the right. Most machines have this stitch. It is very forgiving. Then you can follow the seam lines with that, or go diagonally from corner to corner(s). Then if you don't stitch completely straight lines, it doesn't show.
    Ruth

Really very nice and great work, thanks for sharing with us. I like your quilt very much, your color choices are looking so nice.

I learned quilting the same way and didn't have the courage to do FMQ so I took a class. Before that I only did SID which was hard enough to stay on the line! Your machine might have built-in decorative stitches you can use.
    I love your quilt and you did a great job!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    Get a walking foot..its cheap. Then I would just do a straight line every two inches. Top to bottom. Easier than stitch in the ditch and looks nicer on the back of quilt.

Blog Entries
    instead of stitch in the ditch, you could stitch 1/4" from the seams
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I would maybe do a diagonal grid I think you could still do it without a walking foot.

First of all, your quilt is very pretty! The fabrics work well together. It will be nice whether you tie it or stitch it. If you decide to quilt it on machine, by all means, get yourself a walking foot. It is one of the best tools you can own for quilting.

Blog Entries
    looks good, love the colors.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful for your first quilt!!! I would go with an X thru the blocks, which by the way look to me like charm squares.
    Charm squares are about 5" square, and sold in a bundle. Fat quarters are 18" by about 20-22"
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

pretty fabrics

You did a great job on your first quilt!!! I like QuiltnNan's idea to stitch 1/4 inch away from the seams. Can't wait to see what you decide!
    Cris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast