Thread: must have items
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Tashana

When I started quilting I was in Italy. Needless to say no quilting stores to be found anywhere so I asked a friend from the states to bring me the most important things and this is what she brought me: rotary cutter, cutting mat and 6x24 ruler. These are the same things I use now, 10 years later. You need a pair of sizors and I am sure you have an iron at home. When I moved back to the states I took every single class the City Quilter inNY had to offer. Over the years I added a few items, but the original three I still use every day. I would go for a small mat for classes and down the road get a larger one just for home. I have a small tool box for on the go quilting with basic sewing kit (needles, thread, thread snips, seam ripper, extra bobbins and replacement needle for my machine), my rotary cutter, sizors, and a pair of dollar store sizors for paper. I never had to wait longer than a few minutes to press my stuff in class. Carrying your own iron is a pain in the neck since it is very hot after class. Those little seam irons never really worked for me. Enjoy, have fun and happy quilting.