Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
must have items >

must have items

must have items

Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM

I would only take whats necessary for the class. Remember, you have to haul everything in and everything out after class. A sewing machine, fabric, thread, pens,scissors, rotary cutter. I don't know if she has cutting matts available. (?)
Class room should have irons, ironing boards. Don't buy a lot of stuff you won't use after class.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 AM

I would add a pencil sharpener mine always break when I arrive at class. Enjoy yourself. Oh fabric?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 AM

If you plan on taking your own iron, don't forget something to use it on. I've got a 13" x 19" Omnigrid cutting mat/pressing board combo that works well. Just don't close it while it's still warm or the mat will warp.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Way back when - people made usable quilts with just the following items:

fabric, scissors, needle, and thread.

They also probably had a few pins, a thimble, and some sort of pattern/plan.

Jinny Beyer said she still does a lot of hand-piecing.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 AM

I found the 6 x 24" grid ruler to be the best. Invest in a pair of REALLY good scissors. Spray starch and good thread - I use the 1000m spools from Guterman.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM

All the main things that were mentioned by everyone ...but also, you might need an extension cord for your machine in class. Sometimes the outlets are out away from where you are sitting.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 AM

Update on my class:
Last Saturday I went to my first quilting class, Jelly Roll Race. It didn't start out well. I had ordered a machine and it got lost during shipping so my husband bought me a Brother SQ9050 quilting machine. I got it the day before class and played with it some. I get to class new machine in hand and immediately start having problems. It wasn't the machine, it was me. I had not played with it enough for the class. I was upset with myself and frankly embarrassed. Luckily the owner of the shop "Sewn With Luv in Newnan, GA, Katlynn set up one of her machines for me! Now I could get started. I think I did well for this being my first time. And for those of you who recommended taking a seam ripper, thank you sew much. I had sewn two strips on the wrong side. I thought that wasn't too bad out of 51 strips! I start my beginner quilting class Wednesday Oct 3! It's once a week for 4 hours and it's 4 weeks long. I am very excited!

Thanks to all who responded to my post, it was very helpful. I have decided to get a rolling machine bag and maybe a duffle bag to carry the rest of my stuff in when I go to classes. I really enjoy taking classes. Get to learn new things the correct way and get to meet new people.

I'm already hooked!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Hopefully, you have all of your basics by now. I tend to buy as I have a need or use for something. There are some rulers I would suggest if you don't already have them...a 6 x 24" and a 12 or 14" square ruler. I use these for squaring up fabric after the washing and pressing processes. If you don't start out with squared pieces then it's all down hill from there. You probably have a rotary cutter and mat by now for cutting fabric, but I would highly recommend an inexpensive pair of scissors to be used exclusively for cutting batting so your rotary cutter stays sharper longer. A sharp, good-quality seam ripper is important so that the fabric is pulled upon as least as possible when ripping out a seam. The rule here is you can tell by the price if it's a good one or not. Ask some fellow quilting friends what works best for them. Happy quilting!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Agree with the others, but my 2 favorite rulers are 8.5"x24" and 3"x18".