Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
must have items >

must have items

must have items

Old 09-15-2012, 06:32 AM

My one suggestion would be to buy the self healing mats. The plastic ones tend to dull your rotary cutter. I also suggest you get the 45mm rotary cutter to start. Also in picking a seam ripper get one with a small point that will slip under your stitches if having to rip out a seam. I cut every 4 or 5 stitches then pull the thread from the other side. There is a pattern out for an iron tote to take to classes. When it opens out it is an ironing mat with the silver ironing board fabric as a lining. This is something to think about for later on when you will want to take your own iron to class. Good luck, have fun.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 AM

I'm with those who said cutting mat, 6.5 ruler, good rotary cutter and good (very important) scissors. There will be other things you need/want but wait until your class because many times shops offer a discount on things you buy when you are in a class. Also, sign up for Hancock fabrics, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby because they send great coupons that can help you acquire those "needs" at good prices. If your LQS has an e-mail, sign up for that so you know when they are holding sales.

enjoy your class,
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 AM

I think someone said to try rulers. See what others are using in your class and what you LQS uses. I would think there would be more than one brand. Try them. When I got to my 2nd Friday sew-in, cutters, rulers and mats are provided, but if I'm planning on cutting, I always take my cutter and ruler. I prefer my Ergo 2000 cutter to others on the market and I do not like the rulers they have at the shop.

The other thing to remember as you stay with quilting, you may find that you no longer use later down the road. Not because it was a bad purchase -- but because you find other ways to accomplish the task. I have at least 3 specialty rulers for making half square triangles & two different types of papers. I seldom use the papers for a list of reasons which others would consider a pro instead of a con (I often say if you ask 10 different quilters the best way to my HSTs, you'll get at least 12 answers). Of the rulers, I loved the first one I bought. The issues others list as cons I embrace as pros -- but I seldom use it any more. Not because I don't like it, but because my style of quilting has changed. That ruler is great when making tons of matching HSTs. I tend to make scrappy HSTs so I go to my other two rulers.

So, buy what you need when you need it, not because some one says "Oh, you have to get this because you won't be able to quilt without it" (I am referring to stuff other than the bare basics). Whoever said that to you may only know one way of doing whatever it is, or quilts in a style other than your own -- which will evolve.

Above all have fun.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 AM

I want to add a warning -When you purchase that very good pair of sewing scissors - make SURE that fabric is the only thing those scissors blades ever cut! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER cut ANYTHING else with them! No paper! It really will dull the blades! I have heard of some people on here who have gone as far as putting a padlock on their sewing scissors to keep their kids or husbands from borrowing their sewing scissors.

You have received some great advice here! Have fun starting on quilting!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 AM

I agree with what the others have said-scissors, rotary cutter & mat, thread, needles, etc. The 6 x 24 inch ruler is fantastic. It also works great as a folding ruler. As your stash grows, simply wrap the fabric around the ruler, slip it off and it's nice and neat to stack.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.However, do take care,heed the advice from long time quilters. You do not have to buy everyone of the 'new rulers ' available or every new gadget that comes along. Believe me, I have been there and done it! A good cutting mat, the bigger the better,a good rotary cutter and at least a 6'' by 24'' ruler is a good start. Then look for all the wonderful advice from sites like this.As to irons, most of us have an iron for everyday use. Good luck with your class, I hope you get lots of honest advice and help which will start you on a wonderful journey. love Letty.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Buy the best you can afford not what is cheaper (unless it's on a sale). In quilting tools, you get what you pay for. The best will give you years of use and do what they are suppose to do.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM

Good advice. Be sure to take a notebook and a pen and perhaps a marking pen of some sort. Get a box or something to keep all your stuff in and mark everything with your name or with a piece of ribbon. It's amazing how quickly scissors grow legs and walk away. Don't loan your stuff, either. Some people never read the directions and borrow all they can from others and frequently forget to return the borrowed items. That being said, have a wonderful time and learn all you can. Show us what you did in class. Enjoy
Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Yes rotary cutter mat, Iron and Scissors and a ruler is really all you need to start! I started with a ruler from the dollar store!WE do not have any classes near me so I am self taught I bought as I went along.
That's what I did, too. I bought a small mat to start, a rotary cutter and a 6x24 ruler. I've received additional rulers and another rotary cutter as gifts but to begin, all you really need is machine, mat, ruler and cutter. And fabric, of course!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM

If you are near a Jo-ann Fabric store, get there coupon for buying ruler, mat and rotary cutter. You'll save a ton. I buy all my fabic etc from my local quilt shop